Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I got pet insurance for Benny Francis

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I got pet insurance for Benny Francis

Hi all,

Today I looked at Benny Francis and the idea of getting him some insurance popped into my head. Only Nationwide insures birds, from what I read. So, I called them and got Benny Francis insured for a year.

Does anyone else have their birds insured?
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Re: I got pet insurance for Benny Francis

I do, but we have different companies in the UK... so can't comment on it.

I really like the assurance that I can hand Sammy over and know that the limit of treatment is what's best for my baby - not a bank account or card limit. Mine is rolling though - not annual.

Especially now Sammy's poorly again.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I wish there was insurance for birds here in Australia. But all pet insurance companies only seem to insure dogs and cats. We always pay up front whenever we have to go to the vet and most places require this method of payment and do not offer credit. The prices vary, sometimes it can just be $20 for a short consultation, sometimes it can be $60. It depends which vets we go to, we have 3 centres that we choose from, depending on who is available. If medication is required then the price is even more and can go up to just over $100. The most I've paid is $112 which was just last month for a consultation and medicine for Ashu. Prior to that we spent $450 for our beloved kiara who passed away in October and that money was for her autopsy and cremation and urn. We had some help paying for that though. Most of the time I try to keep some money stashed away for emergencies for both the vets and ourselves if ever needed and for the quarterly bills that come through like electricity. If worst comes to worst I use my credit card and pay it off each time I get paid, and usually pay it off within the month, I try to be diligent with money especially when there is not so much of it

I do not know if I would take up insurance though if an insurer were to offer to insure birds. Sometimes it is actually cheaper here to not take up insurance and to jut try to save the actual money and set it aside in a high interest savings account for a rainy day. It is the same as health insurance for humans here, for some purposes it is worth, but for others it is not worth it because it ends up not being used or the premiums paid every month are higher than what we get back.

However, at some of the vet centres I have noticed they have signs for something called after pay or zip pay where you sign up with an account with either one of those places and they pay the bill straight away and then they just deduct the money from your bank account every fortnight without interest until it is paid off. I've seen these ads on many websites, as well as, local businesses and shops too. I've heard from some friends that it is good too, so if ever needed, I probably would take up that option if I find I do not have the cash for the vet at the time.

Helen I m sorry your little Sammy is not doing so great and I will pray for him to feel better. I saw your thread that you wrote about him recently and I really really hope that he will be ok.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Pat can I ask you how much you are paying for it? Carissa my daughter may want to get Tikki on a plan. I remember when Boomer got sick I wished I had insurance because he cost us a fortune his last years and no doubt the insurance would have helped us out.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marroqui View Post
    Helen I m sorry your little Sammy is not doing so great and I will pray for him to feel better. I saw your thread that you wrote about him recently and I really really hope that he will be ok.
    Thank you so much - that's really kind. We're working on him still. He stayed with the vets while I was away, and I'd really hoped he'd come home better... but sadly not. He's on an antibiotic, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory orally, and an airway opener and antibiotic (I think!) that we nebulise -twice a day - and I've added in a pro-biotic too.

The good news is - apart from the tiredness and clicky wheezy episodes - he's still his cheerful little self. Especially with hubby who is basically his playmate and the person letting him out the neb. I'm grumpy mommy with nasty drugs and the smokey machine

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I have often considered pet insurance. Seems like either way, it is aa guess as to how much good it will do you. I believe insurance may have some rules to qualify about the birds health to get insurance.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm so sorry Sammi is sick. I sure hope he gets better soon. Praying for him.

@Deanna: I paid $250.00 for the year, and that includes the supplemental insurance. Considering that I need to take Benny Francis for his first baby checkup soon, it's well-worth it for such an expensive bird. When I took little Shorty to the vet, it cost me over $700.00 to get him a checkup and x-rays. And he was a cockatiel I got for free because he was missing his upper beak and his 'hands'. Vet bills are darn expensive. But, if I adopt an animal, I commit myself to the costs of taking care of them. I just want a little help with the vet bills that the insurance will provide.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I can't remember the exchange rates (real or actual) - but I think that's similar to what I pay for Sammy's - but his went up after he had pneumonia.

If I insured Bluey (considering it!) I think his would be about a third to half of that based on the online quotes...though he's getting up there in years for a little bug

I think I've spent that in about a month with Sam's current illness

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have to admit that one of the big reasons I never got another bird or any kind of animal is because the vet bills will kill you. Boomers bill was in the thousands after he was sick and one of my dogs was top dog when it came to costs but it is what you have to do for them. To me if you own a animal you take care of them like you do your own child. They love us as much as we love them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I figured that it would take me about 10 years to pay enough insurance to equal what I paid for Benny Francis. To me, it's okay for him. But regardless of what vet bills would be for the cockatiels I wouldn't insure them.

It was quite an unusual thing for me to pay so much for a cockatiel's vet bill when I took little Shorty in. But he was unusual himself, what with no hands and no upper beak. I adopted him knowing full well what I was facing and I was willing to do what it took for that little tyke.

Little Wolfie needs x-rays due to his possible stunted internal organs. But, he's doing fine on formula for the rest of his life. I don't think the x-rays will give me any news that would change the way I'm caring for him. Doctor said I'm doing a great job with Wolfie, so why do anything different?

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Oh No Helen!! I too am going to keep your Sammy in my prayers. I perfectly understand the grumpy mommy thing.. I had Tango on med and we, actually it was "I" that administered it to him and that little stinker had an attitude with me, but perfectly fine with my hubby. I just look at the both of them and ask "Who cleans the cage daily and who gives you fresh food and water? I am happy to hear that he is still his cheerful self.. Se is such a cutie.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I don't know about California, but in Michigan, an Avian is considered and "Exotic" and it comes with an "Exotic" price, especially when it comes to vet bills. When we had Piper, her hormones were out of control and the vet bills were through the roof. John asked one time if we were paying another mortgage.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I do not have my birds insured. Maybe what you did is a good idea. You will have discount care for a year if you need vet care. I do worry at times if things go wrong for not having insurance.

Remove Ads