Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Please help, purple budgie poop!

Thanks

Please help, purple budgie poop!

My female budgie Nika is about 18 months old and over the last two days I noticed that she has been sleeping throughout the day a lot and not being quite as vocal as she normally is. However when I go to her cage she usually comes right to the door chirping eager to spend time with mom, today I had to coax her out and then when she was out when she went poops it was purple, and I mean like true purple. I have not changed anything in her diet, or given her any blueberries (she doesn't like many fruits, she's more of a veggie girl) I have double checked her cage and things around it to see what she could have gotten into but I am coming up empty handed. I plan on calling our Avian vet first thing in the morning to get her in, but I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this with their female budgies? As always thanks in advance!

~Ashley~

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,198 Posts

Re: Please help, purple budgie poop!

I hope you got her to the vet!!! We will watch for updates!! Are there any toys in the cage, such as shredders, that have those colors? Do you feed co!ored pellets?

Thanks

Update on Nika: the vet said it must have been the new shredding toy we got her (toy has since been removed and tossed out) that Nika looks to be in perfect health, other than her hyperkeratosis of her cere. Which we already knew she had, it can be linked to liver disease but we already had her tested and she showed no signs of liver problems, but we had more test ran again today just to be safe. We wont have the results back for a few days. Our vet said she look like she is beginning to molt, which might be the reason for her extra sleepiness, and we are hopefully chalking the purple poo up to the new toy and keeping an extra close eye on her until all the tests come back clear. Our pets scare us just as much as our human kids do when they are "potentially" sick yikes, almost had a heart attack. Nika actually loves being in the travel carrier and watching things outside, so the trip to the vet was exciting for her until we actually got there. She doesn't like to be handled or pet, she like to sit on my shoulder and talk to my ear, neck or cheek, and give me kisses. She can say "pretty bird" and "what?" she learned those from listening to Fin talk nonstop lol. I'll update again once all tests are back.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thank goodness its a toy that made her poos purple. I was worried it could be a dark shade of purple that could have meant internal bleeding but so happy it turned out to be her new shredder toy. It is common to see the poos change with new toys. Tikki got a new wooden toy that was red and his poos were as red as the toy!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

Final tests results came back in for Nika today and everything came back perfectly normal, so we are all very happy that our little girl is healthy. Her poops have gone back to normal, and there is now enough feathers on the bottom of her cage to make a new bird. So the extra sleepy time seems to really have been an early sign for her of a molt. She is currently sitting on one of my fingers making sure I type everything properly. Thank you again for the help and support.

~Ashley~

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,198 Posts

That's great news, Ashley! Now, you can get back to the normal day! We will welcome updates anytime.

Fledgeling
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

That is a new color of poop to me. Hope someone on this site can give you the answer. If they do, do let us all on the site know what causes purple poop in birds.

Remove Ads