Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

View Poll Results: Favorite Cockatiel Mutation

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • White Face (pearl, pied, cinnamon or other double mutation)

1 50.00%
  • Lutino or Albino

0 0%
  • Cinnamon or Fallow alone (no double mutation)

0 0%
  • Pied alone (no double mutation)

1 50.00%
  • Normal Grey

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: New Here~ Cockatiel Owner

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

New Here~ Cockatiel Owner

Momma to 2 gorgeous Cockatiels. They are:

-Princess "Diana" Pearl (White-Face Pearl) Female

-Charlie Boy ~or just simply Charlie, responds to both (Pied) Male

Charlie is about 5 months old, and Princess is maybe 2.5 to 3 years old.
    Princess was just added to the family this past Thursday, and is a bit nippy. It's only been less than 48 hours, so that's to be expected, I guess. xD I feel like her breeder hasn't ever really taken the time to work with her. Any tips on taming a Mature Hen? Is it any harder than with Juvenile Cocks? I've only ever tamed 2 other [juvenile cocks] in my bird owning life, and it seemed to be quite a breeze. I hear that Females can be a little more challenging.. Is it true?

Call me Rainbow if you wish. I never outgrew my love of all things Rainbow Colored~ Thanks guys! )
    Last edited by WhiteFacePearl Princess; 01-20-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Grammar Corrections

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: New Here~ Cockatiel Owner

Hi Erica and welcome to the forum.
    I too have a white faced, but my little guy is a pied and he can be quite the handful. Couple of questions. 1) Do you have them quarantined? Meaning that they are not nearby each other, perhaps the opposite side of the room? Birds carry diseases and you don't want Princess to catch anything. Usually a good quarantine is 30 days. 2) Do you have an avian vet? I noticed your from Michigan and I highly recommend my avian vet and she is absolutely awesome. I go to Warren Woods Veterinary Hospital and Dr. Cappel is the BEST!!! 3) Have you tried coaxing Charlie with a sprig of millet? My bird loves it.. I don't recommend it as part of the daily diet, but as a treat.

One thing, cockatiels are docile and one of the easiest birds to tame, but I believe you are on the right track.. Just be patient. You just brought him home last Thursday, give him time to adjust to the new cage, the new sounds in the home and a new owner. Speak softly and let him get to know you.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Hi Erica, Welcome to the forum!

Time and patience and lots of sweet talking and sitting by her cage will get her to warm up to you. She isn't that old yet so not set in her ways like the ones that live for years without people by them. I have no doubts you will charm her into liking you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 1,224 Posts

Hi, Erica, and welcome to you and your flock. It does take time for a newbie to get to know the new environment and you. I would suggest playing soft music on a CD player or radio, for all of your flock. Birds love music. I also would wait a week or so to let her get used to her surroundings. Get some millet sprigs at the petshop. Use them for treats each day. And then, when your newbie is settled in, use them for training. Go to YouTube and search for training cockatiels. There are many videos there. With an older bird, it takes extra time to train. But do not lose heart. Time and patience are on your side. Each day she will be more trusting of you. Hens are very loving cockatiels and I predict she will love you and the two of you will be best friends.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Princess Diana and Charlie Boy. Could be named after British Royalty. Princess Diana was very popular. So are your 2 birds.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for all of your helpful advice. I'm in my early 20's, and I chose not to do quarrentine, simply because I only have 1 cage (an 18 X 24 Inch Prevue brand cage) Which, I feel, is a sufficient size for only 2 birds. Furthermore, if Princess' breeder sold her to me with an illness present, I fully intend to ask for a refund. I do not count on her being sick. She does take considerable naps, but that COULD just be due to it being below freezing outside the past couple of days (even though She and Charlie are kept in my heated bedroom, which is no colder than 72 Degrees (F) all the time) She could still be a little chilly.

That being said, I'm betting it's due to her adjusting to her new forever home. If an illness arises, my mom and I will take her to the vet. As it stands, I see no reason for quarrentine.

As for their names, my Mother and I are quite fond of the late Princess (RIP to The People's Princess) and she needs a Prince, right? Lol. Thanks, guys. Nice to meet everyone! ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdmanca View Post
    Princess Diana and Charlie Boy. Could be named after British Royalty. Princess Diana was very popular. So are your 2 birds.
    Yup, Indeed she was, and rightfully so! ~ Thank you, Bill! I love my 2 little guys very much ~
    Last edited by WhiteFacePearl Princess; 01-23-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 1,224 Posts

All birds hide any illness very cleverly. Being so small, they can die very quickly if they are ill. Often times you will see posters speaking about a wellness check up for birds, if they have any symptoms of illness. Losing a little bird is very heartbreaking. Many bird owners have had that life experience. We can get another bird, but losing one is just a terrible experience. I truly hope you will never have that experience with any birds you may have in your home.

Remove Ads