Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Turquoise Green Cheek Male at Petco~

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Cool Turquoise Green Cheek Male at Petco~

Maybe one day, in the Far Off Future, I'll have myself a Male Turquoise Green Cheek.

A couple weeks ago, my local Petco had just that for sale. He was like $350 to buy. I oggled him for a while, before eventually peeling myself off of the glass. Lmao.

For now, I am more than pleased with my 2 Lovely Cockatiels, but maybe someday.. Haha. It's always great to have dreams in mind. XD

How much different is Conure care from Cockatiel care? I'm just curious. Are they Hand Tame-able? I've heard that they can bite considerably harder if not tamed, but I know that they're an absolutely lovely species! Thank you all ~
    Last edited by WhiteFacePearl Princess; 01-23-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Turquoise Green Cheek Male at Petco~

Anyone there?? Lol. We can't hate pet-stores that much, can we, ya'll?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My daughter has a pineapple green cheek and Tikki is a amazing bird!! He is very vocal and can say lots of words and sentences which makes him even more awesome. I have a feeling they are much more active then cockatiels because Tikki is nonstop crazy most of them time. I wouldn't worry too much about getting one from a pet store either because Boomer came from a pet store here and he was a very amazing people friendly lover bird!! My daughter got Tikki from off of Craigslist from a girl so we don't know where he came from.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I also have two conures, one red bellied one (rico) and one green cheek one (Nico). While I cannot compare them to cockatiels as I don't have cockatiels I can compare them to an Indian ringneck and lovebirds and can say that with the conures I feel like I have 5 year old kids lol (they are apparently 5 years old now). They started off quiet and innocent and I thought to myself wow they are such elegant and polite little birds. Then all changed, rico especially has become nuts. She screams when it is bedtime and doesn't wanna go to sleep. She screams during the day when she wants attention. If she hears anyone walking around early in the morning she will scream a little too. I even thought they have soft sounds because at the beginning they made soft sounds to each other which almost sounds like "crr crr" but then they showed their true colours haha. I still like them though, I just find it hard to give them all the attention when I have other birds as well. I think they are girls, even though we were told that they are boys. Rico is a massive bully now all of a sudden, and will always push and shove Nico for some reason now, and then when I try to help Nico she goes and defends the bully one! But she only does it if a human walks into the room, almost as if to prove that she is the big mighty boss or something. It is sometimes hard for me to not get angry at her when she is mean to the little one, but I do like them. They are the healthiest eaters, they love fruits, varieties of seeds not just picky with one or two, and recently we learned that they love pellets. We got the conures for free from a elderly lady that we buy french millet from as at the time her husband was struggling with health issues and was giving away a lot of her birds (she is a breeder and wildlife carer) and asked if we could take them as she was afraid a breeder would just separate them so we took them in. She, herself, I think got them from a deceased estate or something from what I have heard, so I do not know too much about their history.

In my opinion, they are loud, they are feisty especially if they are girls lol, they seem to be healthy eaters, and as Deanna mentioned they are good with talking, Rico seems to be able to say "Watcha doing" but I dont think she knows what she is saying. And she makes the sound that a person will make to another person to indicate they are attractive: the "whew whew" whistle sound. The little one can imitate a car honk lol, its cute when she does it, she usually does it when she is eating or just done eating so I think her car honk means "thanks I'm happy and full honk honk!".

I definitely recommend having conures if you dont have lots of other birds. I have also seen them in the petshops for high prices too, starting from $250, but I have usually only seen them from family run shops where they hand raise them, all the generic franchises seem to mostly have budgies and smaller birds like finches down here. From what I have read about cockatiels, I think they might be similar to conures? I have heard that cockatiels have night frights, and I think rico and Nico do not like the dark too much, or sometimes I think they see shadows even in the day and start flapping all over their cage all of a sudden. Oh and yes they do bite harder in my opinion, well compared to lovebirds and our ringneck at least. Rico has drawn blood from my hand a few times. And I think they are hand tameable with time and patience, as rico would at first jump away every time we were near or doing anything with her cage, and now... I can barely go and clean her cage because she jumps everywhere and follows my hand trying to tell me to keep off her things lol. I am not sure what caused this but it might be from witnessing one of our semi-tamed lovebirds kovu who loves being around humans.

I hope this helps! If you happen to get a conure someday, I think they will love the company of your two cockatiels as well and will chirp to each other all day long in their own little species languages!

Remove Ads