Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Owning a Cockatiel and 2 Male Budgies?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Question Owning a Cockatiel and 2 Male Budgies?

Hello!

I have never worked with a cockatiel and I really need some advice.
    I am an owner of 2 male budgies. I wouldn't say that they are 100% bonded to me, but I can take them out on top of the cage, make them step up and hand feed them. I have got into a situation where I am able to get one. I've seen cockatiels in real life and they are absolutely beautiful. I'd really love to own one. I am concerned about few things, though.

Most importantly I would want the cockatiel in a separate cage from the budgies, as 1. the budgies took some time to get along and were fighting, 2. they got so used to eachother that the bond with me has been damaged. I wonder, if the cockatiel would be kept in the same room, but on the other side of it and in a completely different cage, would that be as easy to tame him, as if he was a single bird in the room, and would he treat me as his totally best friend after bonding? I don't want to make the same mistake as with my budgies, where they are focused on eachother instead of me. I want to get a cockatiel that will perch on command, will be able to roam around the room freely when I'm around and that will be curious and interested in me. I know I may ask for too much, but to put it simple: I want a cockatiel that treats me as his totally best friend and that will want to be near me at all times. Not like my budgies, that look forward to eachother but completely ignore me unless it comes to food. That said, if I actually were to get one, should i get a baby cockatiel and raise him since little, so that he would get used to me, or should I get a bit older bird that was tamed by a breeder? Which one would work more for what i would prefer?

I also wanted to ask about gender. Does it really matter? As far as I know, female budgies are more territorial at times and need separate cages, or at last, a bigger cage. Does that apply to cockatiels? I know that male cockatiels tend to whistle more, but that's about it.

I don't want to keep more than one cockatiel. I would really appreciate any additional tips about cockatiels, as I really know little to none about them. If You know any answers to the questions above, please reply. I would love to own a cockatiel but I want to make sure that it would apply to how i imagine it. I also know that I should do my own research, but just to make sure I wanted to ask here, so someone with experience can help me. I was not able to find any information about taming with a bird kept with more of them in the same room.

Thank You

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: Owning a Cockatiel and 2 Male Budgies?

You came to the right web page. Cockatiels are beautiful and are very good for beginners on keeping birds. Cockatiels and budgies shouldn't be kept in the same cage. Your cockatiel should have it's own cage, own food and it's own toys. If you would like the cockatiel to be a companion, I would recommend a female. They are very social, but they have drawbacks. There hormones can get out of hand when they reach maturity and for a couple months out of the year, they can turn into feathered little monsters. I am speaking from personal experience. I had a female lutino and she was a handful. She was not a flyer, she was a walker. Piper would climb on the furniture or up are legs if we were sitting and she loved her head scratched. During the spring when her hormones kicked in, there were times we couldn't live with her. She got aggressive, she would bite and she was more interested in nesting. When she got out of her annual hormone stage, she was one of the most loveable birds I have ever owned. I had her for almost 16 years and when she died, I was a traindwreck for over a week. Also, when they are hormonal, it's recommended not to pet them and put them to bed earlier to calm the hormones down. Males are great and that is what I currently have now. I got mine when he was about 6 months old and till this day, he is very agreeable. He does talk, but not as socialable as my lutino. If I am sitting in my home office where I keep his cage, he will climb out and fly to me and sit on my shoulder while I am on the computer. He will also climb down, walk on the keyboard, chew paper and will peck at the computer screen. We do bring him out almost each night for about an 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. each evening to interact with us, making him feel like he is part of the family.

I had both sexes and each of them have there pro's and con's. One thing I would consider that females can become chronic egg layers. They don't need a male to lay eggs. There are several threads about egg laying on this webpage with some valuable information. My thing is that if the bird is happy and loved, and it makes you happy, it shouldn't matter what the gender is.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I have homed and cared for budgies and cockatiels for along time. I keep budgies in a separate cage from cockatiels. It works better that way because budgies, being smaller, and very active, tend to frustrate the cockatiels.

I have homed both male and female tiels. Males are very intelligent, love to mimic sounds, talk, learn different words, and sing songs. Currently, I have one tiel, Penny, who whistles the Mickey Mouse Song, says pretty, pretty, pretty, loves to beak his food cup, sounding like a drummer, and loves to eat as well.

Females are very loving. Some, even though single, can begin laying eggs. They can develop chronic egg laying habits, which are dangerous to their health, due to loss of too much calcium in their body. Chronic means laying eggs every few weeks. Generally, hens only lay eggs during breeding season which usually is spring and fall.

I would say either male or female will make a great friend to you. Personally, I prefer males, because I did have a chronic egg layer at one time, and my hen spent most of her time nesting on the cage floor, and even though being very loving and friendly, was more focused on her eggs than having interactions with me.

It would be great to set the budgies and the tiel's cages set side by side. Budgies would welcome your tiel, and may even interact abit with him or her.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-24-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wordie
    Thanks

Hello again!

Thank You both for replying.
    I've decided to go with a Lutino Cockatiel, though i will not be sure what gender it will be, since I am going to take it at a young age. Both of You really opened up my mind on many things that are very important for me. So, again, thank you very much!

I really need to know if the budgies would affect the Cockatiel by any means, though. Will there be any problems with them being in the same room? Would it be a problem at all?
    Please let me know if You could

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I would allow our of cage time for budgies only. Then, return them to their cage, and allow the cockatiel to be out of cage for awhile. This is a good time to play and bond with them, and I feel this will work well for you. Lutinos are beautiful. i see no problem to have their cages in the same room. Many caregivers quarantine a new bird for about 30 days, placing that bird and cage in a separate room, or far across the room, if you decide to keep the cages tog:ether.

Good luck and please post updates whenever you wish to do so.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-01-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Remove Ads