Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Taming a budgie question

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Taming a budgie question

Hi everyone. I have a quick question. So a I know a guy who has an aviary and has so many new born budgies. I read somewhere that if you want to tame a budgie first of all make sure you only buy one and secondly make sure it's a baby.

Now my question is say I buy 1 budgie right now, hand tame him and he gets used to me etc... then I buy another baby budgie and hand tame him as well and he gets used to me too and then I put both of these birds together once they are tamed will they still be used to me or will they forget me and freak out every time I bring my hand in the cage since now there are two of them and they are used to each other.

Thanks.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Taming a budgie question

Hi, and welcome to the community. I think your plan is excellent. Get the first one, and work to train him or her and make a great bond with it. Then, in a few months, perhaps 3-4 months, get the other one. Put it in a separate cage at first. Do the same bonding and training with him or her. I would get the second one so it is about the sane age as the first one, if at all possible.. Then you can put them together. If it were me, I would get males, because two females sometimes do not get along together, and also, even though single, they can start laying eggs. This can cause aggression between them because all females are very protective of their eggs. And if you get a female and male, then they will be bonded by mating, laying eggs, and hatching babies. And, that does change our friendship with them somewhat, because they will be interested in each other.

I have homed budgies for many years, and had all three senarios I mentioned above. I even bred a pair a few years ago, and they hatched four beautiful babies. For me, all males, are always the ones I so enjoy, because I do not have to worry about feeling left out of their lives, nor deal with eggs.

Ask the breeder if he does DNA tests so you are sure what sex you are getting. I think good breeders often provide that service. Good luck! We will watch for updates. Budgies are the most loving and happy birds. You will love the journey with them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-29-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community. I think your plan is excellent. Get the first one, and work to train him or her and make a great bond with it. Then, in a few months, perhaps 3-4 months, get the other one. Put it in a separate cage at first. Do the same bonding and training with him or her. I would get the second one so it is about the sane age as the first one, if at all possible.. Then you can put them together. If it were me, I would get males, because two females sometimes do not get along together, and also, even though single, they can start laying eggs. This can cause aggression between them because all females are very protective of their eggs. And if you get a female and male, then they will be bonded by mating, laying eggs, and hatching babies. And, that does change our friendship with them somewhat, because they will be interested in each other.

I have homed budgies for many years, and had all three senarios I mentioned above. I even bred a pair a few years ago, and they hatched four beautiful babies. For me, all males, are always the ones I so enjoy, because I do not have to worry about feeling left out of their lives, nor deal with eggs.

Ask the breeder if he does DNA tests so you are sure what sex you are getting. I think good breeders often provide that service. Good luck! We will watch for updates. Budgies are the most loving and happy birds. You will love the journey with them.
    Thank you so much as always for your quick and helpful response! I highly appreciate it. Is it OK to keep a single budgie in the cage?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Sure it is fine! Over the years I have had single budgies and also several in one cage. Sometimes, it is necessary to have one alone, either by choice of having only one, or one does not get along well in a cage with others. Right now, I have a single budgie, Muffin, who has had his own cage for 7 years. He loves his mirror girlfriends, and his swing. And his cage sits right next to my cockatiel, Penny. They talk and sing to each other, and both are happy in their own cage.

Please keep us posted when you bring home your new baby budgie!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Sure it is fine! Over the years I have had single budgies and also several in one cage. Sometimes, it is necessary to have one alone, either by choice of having only one, or one does not get along well in a cage with others. Right now, I have a single budgie, Muffin, who has had his own cage for 7 years. He loves his mirror girlfriends, and his swing. And his cage sits right next to my cockatiel, Penny. They talk and sing to each other, and both are happy in their own cage.

Please keep us posted when you bring home your new baby budgie!
    That's brilliant! Thank you. I was so worried in case he becomes depressed because he's alone but this response put my mind at ease. I brought him home and he is eating from my hand but unfortunately he's not drinking any water so I put some water from a bottle in a water bottle lid and he drank from it. Just worried in case he get's used to this and wont drink when I'm not around anymore.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It is quite common for them to not drink water or eat seeds for the first few days. Usually by day 3-4 they will drink. And eat!! Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop. Take one and hold the top of it out towards him and let him eat off the top. Also, break one into small pieces and place in a separate food cup. Also, see if he will eat some of the seeds mixed into his food cup, and out of your hand. Millet has lots of moisture, which is good for him when he is not drinking water as yet. Usually, millet is used for a treat, but early on he can eat it most any time. It is rather high in fat content so should be fed as a treat a couple of times a week, once he is settled in.

I would say in another week he will be settled in well, and begin p!aying, singing, etc. If possible, get him his swing and mirror "girlfriend" asap!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

It is quite common for them to not drink water or eat seeds for the first few days. Usually by day 3-4 they will drink. And eat!! Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop. Take one and hold the top of it out towards him and let him eat off the top. Also, break one into small pieces and place in a separate food cup. Also, see if he will eat some of the seeds mixed into his food cup, and out of your hand. Millet has lots of moisture, which is good for him when he is not drinking water as yet. Usually, millet is used for a treat, but early on he can eat it most any time. It is rather high in fat content so should be fed as a treat a couple of times a week, once he is settled in.

I would say in another week he will be settled in well, and begin p!aying, singing, etc. If possible, get him his swing and mirror "girlfriend" asap!
    Thank you so much again! He has finally started drinking thankfully, which really does put my mind at ease now. Just one last quick question. Would it be OK to clean the bottom of the cage and it's bars with baby wipes?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would instead recommend plain white paper towel. Take a small spritz bottle and fill with a mix of warm water and about two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Spray some of the water on a piece of paper towel, and then wipe the cage bars, and clean rthe bottom tray. I do not use the grate in my budgie cage. I took it out, and I place white paper towels on the cage floor. Each morning, I give clean paper towels, and thoroughly rinse the water cup, putting a couple of drops of vinegar and warm water in the water cup and clean. Then rinse with hot water. I also clean the seed cup like this, because my budgie, Muffin, sometimes poops in his seed cup.

I would not use baby wipes because of the soap or chemicals in them. Vinegar is very safe to use around birds.

And one other thought, do not use teflon pans to cook with around birds in a home, including budgies, nor any essential oils or defussers using oils, or household cleaning products. If you do clean with any, then cover the cage with a light weight blanket, or sheet while doing your cleaning, No chemicals near birds, nor e cigs, cigs, or tobacco products whatsoever either.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-17-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Remove Ads