Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgies have so much dander... I think it's making me ill?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question Budgies have so much dander... I think it's making me ill?

Dear all
    So I got my budgies on Friday (apologies for not attaching a pic.. I'm not feeling to good) one is a yellow-green pied and the other is a yellow faced blue. Currently trying to tame them but there not interested. But my main question is how do you keep the amount of dander down? There's so much feathers everywhere! I understood there'd be some dander but this is insane! I've even gotten an air purifier to help with the dust. Im unsure if the birds are moulting are not (is there a way to tell?) but I'd like to ask mainly because I keep the birds in my bedroom which has a carpet and I don't want to be hovering every day. My mum has even suggested to get rid of them already (as she doesn't like the dander) I really don't want rid of them there so cute.any help would be grately appreciated. I'm already cleaning them out everyday and food and water changes. Just the dander is even turning up in my hair ! And clothes! I've currently got a cold but I'm unsure if it is a cold or bird fanciers lung....it only came after I got my budgies...

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: Budgies have so much dander... I think it's making me ill?

All birds have dander of some sort. Molting feathers causes more. An air purifier or cleaner does help somewhat. However, in my view, there is no way to stop it. Clean the cage at least once a day and remove any feathers they are molting.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi
    Thanks for the reply! Sry I kinda freaked out......I think one of the budgies is going to molt? As it is scruffy looking and fluffy. He's been preening and scratches a lot so I'm assuming this is why I'm finding so much (basically ever time he ruffles his feathers he puts dust everywhere!) as I only just got them there not tame so I can't check up close for mites. I've been looking at him and I see little black dots (they don't move so I think there pin feathers?) I've been using a mite spray on him just to be sure. I have noticed that one still has his baby feathers (he hasn't gone through his first moult) so I think it's likely he's moulting ?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Rare!y do budgies have mites. If it were me I would not be spraying them with chemicals. Yes, these types of self help items can be used, but in my view, they can cause death in birds. A vet would need to approve.

It is quite common for budgies to molt when we first get them. It is a combination of stress from adjusting to a new home, and having new seeds or pellets.

Name
    Mike Doffman
    Thanks

Hello! Giving them up would be a tad too extreme, in my opinion, especially if you care about them and enjoy their company. The only thing you need to do is find a better way to clean the dander. Now, concerning your carpet, I have an excellent suggestion for you: carpet cleaning Greeley. You should check out this company: they are experts in carpet cleaning and also upholstery cleaning. My friends and I always resort to this company whenever we need some deep carpet cleaning. Life with animals is fun, but it can also get a little bit messy.
    Last edited by stagbucarpruspe; 08-25-2021 at 12:50 AM.