Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lovebird biting!

Name
    Corey
    Thanks

Lovebird biting!

I have 2 peach-face lovebirds now. One I got almost 2 years ago. He is very friendly, loves to explore and never bites; though he does nibble sometimes. He was hand-fed and hand-raised. Almost 2 months ago, I got a female. She was hand-fed, but I don't think she was well socialized - not sure. She loves to be on our shoulders etc. and usually doesn't bite us when there. She does nibble and we have discouraged this as it sometimes turns into a harder bite. She is terrified of our hands and she bites our fingers hard. We can cup her from the back with both hands, but we are unable to train her to step up on a finger. If we are not careful with how we pick her up, she bites hard (not breaking skin though). I have been hand-feeding her tiny pieces of spray millet which has been helping. Together, they get along well. They preen each other. They play well together; however, they do sometimes go after each other. Any other ideas on how to train her to step up and be less afraid of hands?
    Last edited by qcmm; 02-12-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Lovebird biting!

Hi, and welcome to you and your beautiful lovebirds! We have several members who have lovebirds. I have never homed them, so will let others respond to your post!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ahmed
    Thanks

Dear qcmm;
    the lovebird may be a friend and not bit if handeating while he is a baby and alone.
    since the male Or a hen become pair the bahevior will change .. then may bit cause they are afraid of all things interrupt new life .. they intend to mate and lay eggs and have chicks

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

The bird may be biting out od fear. You are a lot bigger than the bird. For now, just do what she has always been ok with the playing,etc. What is causing her to bite you, stop until you get good advice on her personality drom more sources. I think the hand scares her.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ahmed
    Thanks

Types of Pet Birds
    1- Bonded Biting:
    Some lovebirds will start to bite certain family members or guests out of jealousy.
    If this is the case, you need to show him that interacting with others is enjoyable and that these people aren't a threat.
    Have him sit on a perch while other family members or visitors feed him treats and fuss over him.

2- Territorial Biting:
    Your lovebird can become territorial over his cage, and start biting if you encroach on his space.
    Lovebirds can become territorial over a nesting box; if he has one, remove it from his enclosure.
    A bird with this problem needs confident handling.

3- Fearful Biting:
    A lovebird may bite because he's afraid.
    If your lovebird is fearful, try not to stress him out.
    Pick him up in a small towel when you need to remove him from his cage and don't handle him too much until he has become used to your presence.
    Don't let any children or people without experience handle him without proper supervision, as they might not realize they're being too rough.
    Be patient with him, and he'll slowly learn to trust you.

4- Other Reasons for Biting:
    a. Your lovebird might start to bite when he moves toward adulthood due to hormones and changing needs.
    This phase usually passes, and he may just need some extra space and for you to respect his boundaries.
    b. Lack of sleep can be another reason for biting.
    Make sure your bird is in bed by 7 or 8 p.m., as he needs enough rest to function properly.
    c. Some lovebirds bite to get their own way.
    If he seems to be biting to get what he wants, don't give him any attention -- or even react to the bite -- and make sure he doesn't get what he was after.
    Once he realizes his bites aren't getting the desired response, he'll soon get bored and give up.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love your two lovies!! They are both super cute. Boomer never gave up biting us here and we just forgave him and still let him sit on our shoulders or wherever and just knew many times he would bite us.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

What little cuties!

I've been sitting here for a while trying to work out how to phrase this - and have decided to just say it.

Why are you trying to teach your bird to step up onto your finger? Our little Sammy is ridiculously tame. He sits on our shoulders, follows us around the house, snuggles up for naps with us. He is adorable. He has not, and likely never will step up onto our fingers. Either we offer him our scooped hand and he crawls in, or he hops onto our forearm. If you try to make him step onto your finger he backs away. If you force he issue, you will get a warning nip. Keep forcing the issue and you should expect a bite. Which is the exact opposite of our other bird who prefers gripping your finger, and goes nuts when we have to pick him up (like to give medicine). It's just their difference personalities...

It just sounds to me like it could be that your bird is trying to tell you they don't want to step onto your finger either. Will they step onto your arm or wrist? Would that be enough?

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Corey
    Thanks

Never thought of that perspective! Just thought you were supposed to teach them to step up. Thank you! Thanks to everyone for their input. We will trying to get her used to our hands and less afraid of them.

Remove Ads