Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Preventing Boredom

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Preventing Boredom

So, I'm trying to prevent boredom so as to prevent possible feather plucking, but I could use some help.

Basically, my budgies stay in my living room flying around on the lights and watching my garden. I leave the TV on for them, and they kind of entertain themselves, but I was wondering if there's anything else I could do. I can't really teach them tricks because, we'll there's 2 of them sooo, yeah.

Anyways is there anyway to prevent boredom for budgies in a separate room. Oh, they also have 1 toy, only toy they'll play with but I'm working on that, and I put bird food outside for entertainment. Help appreciated.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,232 Posts

Re: Preventing Boredom

Quite honestly, I do not feel your budgies will ever be bored. It sounds like they have lots of free fly time, the toy they enjoy, and are well bonded together. Feather plucking is very rare. Unless you were to see them pulling out their feathers all of the time, even to the point of bleeding, then that would be cause to take them to the vet.

Budgies love to preen themselves and each other all of the time. But preening is different than plucking. Preening is a sign of being relaxed and happy in their environment. In my view, they have a great setup. So, no worries!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Quite honestly, I do not feel your budgies will ever be bored. It sounds like they have lots of free fly time, the toy they enjoy, and are well bonded together. Feather plucking is very rare. Unless you were to see them pulling out their feathers all of the time, even to the point of bleeding, then that would be cause to take them to the vet.

Budgies love to preen themselves and each other all of the time. But preening is different than plucking. Preening is a sign of being relaxed and happy in their environment. In my view, they have a great setup. So, no worries!!
    Well thanks, that puts my mind to rest. I also looked today and I think what I was looking at was molting, they tend to molt quite frequently, but I think I figured that out as well so cheers!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are very welcome! If you have other questions or concerns p!ease post them. Budgies do tend to lose feathers. Tbery usually have a harder molt of feathers in the spring and fall. However, they do tend to have what I call mini molts throughout the year!!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I agree with Ellen that since they are out free flying they really do not need much else. Birds love being outside of the cage and doing whatever they want to do, well not everything because us "parronts" need to do what it takes to keep them safe like covering things we do not want them get into.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks all! I just have one last question that goes well with this thread though. I've noticed that one of my budgies will randomly go into preening fits. What I mean is that he will wip his head around fast whilst desperately preening. It kinda looks like he's itching himself with his vigour, but I know that isn't the case because he shows no signs and he doesn't do it constantly only twice or so a day. Is this normal preening or is my budgie just really into preening?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I see my daughters conure doing this sometimes too and I wonder if he is feeling itchy when he is doing it or just being very aggressive with himself. I wouldn't worry too much unless your bird starts to pull or twist feathers. Our avian vet recommends to give Tikki a pea sized dab of organic red palm oil everyday. Tikki licks it off our finger or he also will eat it if we mix it with some of his people food we give to him. Its also very good for us humans as well. He loves splashing in water so if he seems to be preening too much my daughter lets him hop into a pie pan with water in it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That is totally normal behavior. Budgies really get into preening! My cockatiel does it too! Being winter time, their skin can get dry, so preening can be more than usual. Take a small spritz bottle, fill with luke warm water, and spray them, being careful to not spray them in the eyes. Some budgies like it, others don't. If yours do not, then discontinue immediately.

Remove Ads