Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Enlarged liver :(

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Enlarged liver :(

So - back from the vets again. Not a huge amount to say right now as pretty cut up.

Turns out Sammy has an enlarged liver it is still functioning (yey!), but is likely putting pressure on respitory system. Good news is, blood work showed no major active infections. So we're coming off the drugs

Keeping him on the nebuliser drugs (xrays showed lungs aren't great either)

Also keeping on Loxicom as vet said won't hurt, and could help anti-inflammartory
    Also have new supplement - Samylin (nice name huh?) that could help the liver

Also - we're to reduce his seeds to almost nothing and increase the pellets. Thankfully he's eaten harrisons happily forever. We're trying with veggies - but he's still being resistant.

I put the vet on the spot and asked him if this is the beginning of the end. Answer is - likely yes. We might be able to get him stable - but he said usually in his (very considerable - he's one of the best avian vets in the country) - most birds tend to decline after this.

Sammy himself is sleeping more (but I've been delibrately keeping him covered a lot to encourage this), but is still bouncing around, making mischief, generally not doing as he's told and having screaming contests with his neighbour. And still bashing around his toys. So all in all, pretty normal Sammy.

I'll be doing some research on holistic support etc and sending to my vet - but he didn't sound like he expected me to find much.

But just wanted to update you all - and obviously pick brains for any ideas!

xxx all

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 1,221 Posts

Re: Enlarged liver :(

Awww! I sm so sorry you have been given this diagnosis. I know you will be there for Sammy 150%. I am sending hugs and positive thoughts to you and will keep you in my prayers! This so reminds me of Deana, who also had a similar journey with her beloved Boomer. She was an awesome caregiver to Boomer, as you are and have been to all of your birds. We will watch for updates.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

NOOOOO!!! I am so bummed and have tears in my eyes because I know how much this has to ripping your heart out Helen. We have been through awful times with Boomer and Sparky together and no doubt I understand what is going through your mind right now hearing that Sammy has liver problems. Words cannot even begin to say how sorry I am but I also have to say not to give up and I know you will never do that. What about Milk Thistle seeds? They are really good for the liver and I think it has helped many birds here heal the liver. I know if you do searchs on this forum you will find advice here and I think people had good results with Milk Thistle seeds. Just a few a day helps. Avian salad might be a good thing as well to look into.

Thanks Ellen. When Boomer was so sick so was Helens Sparky with the same awful thing that Boomer had. We went through it all together and sadly within a weeks time both Sparky and Boomer died.

HUGS to you my friend and I will be sending healing thoughts to your little Sammy boy.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Helen, thanks for the update on Sammy and I am sending you a bunch of virtual hugs. I hope the Samylin helps your little guy. At least your vet was straight with you and it's great that you have a good, honest vet. It's good to hear that Sammy is still being himself and I hope he learns to like his veggies.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Thanks for the love and support guys.

Sam decided to join us in bed this morning. Which basically means he goes digging under the covers for a warm spot, or until he finds toes, fingers, or whatever else he's decided to target that day lol. Broccoli is going down alright. Oranges, cucumber and spinach - not so well lol And don't even mention apples!

Was hoping others on the boards may have had some experiences they could share.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Thanks

You maybe have already read this article, if you don't, you'll maybe find something helpful

http://www.beautyofbirds.com/liverdisease.html

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Thanks Ketcha. It's a really interesting article which I'll probs share with my vet as I'm a bit confused about some points. It seems to recommend egg yolks, but also says reduced protein? Milkthisle we're not using in favour of Samylin, but ill look in dmg. Fortunately Sammy has eaten harrisons for years, unfortunately he's refused actual beg and fruit for about as long. Silly pickle lol

Thanks

Sorry to not be able to help more, I hope your little Sammy will be better soon, I'm going to follow closely his updates.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Thanks Ketcha. That post was actually really helpful. I'd seen it somewhere before, and then promptly lost it... So thanks for the link. I was out this evening so "daddy" was in charge of nebulising. Usually Sammy hops in happily, but this evening apparently decided it was play time instead. So bring on the mischief lol

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Happy playful birds are always great to see. I really do hope you can help out Sammys liver and get him healthy again.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads