Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Best way to clean out budgies cage skirt ?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question Best way to clean out budgies cage skirt ?

Hi (again!)

So this Saturday will be the first clean out for my budgies cage and I'm really just looking for tips. I know that it won't take long but I'm curious how you clean your cage if it has a cage skirt on (seed catcher). as if there's seeds caught in th catcher how do you get rid of them without making a mess everywhere? Do you pull the bottom over the cage body or do you pull the top of seed catcher down the bottom of the base? Sry if it's a little confusing it's kinda hard to word. Any other clean out tips would be appreciated like cleaning the cage bars. Especially as my budgies are molting... Thanks in advance

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Best way to clean out budgies cage skirt ?

If you let your budgie out of the cage, for a short while, you can clean cage quickly. Remove the seed catcher, and use a small hand vac to clean the seeds up that are scattered about. Then use a mix of apple cider vinegar and warm water, and with a few pieces of paper towel, that have been dipped in the water, wipe cage inside and out. And dry inside and outside of cage with clean, dry paper towels. Clean bottom tray of cage, wipe down the perches, and wipe off toys, and.....that's it!! Then wash and rinse the food and water cups. And then replace the seed catcher!!! You now are ready to put your budgie back in the clean cage!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-16-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Never had thought of a hand vacuum before! One of the budgies escape and flew into my mirror and fell to the floor in my room I'm considering getting there wings clipped for there safety as thankfully the budgie wasn't injured but today was to close a call. Can a vet do this for me? I just don't want to risk them breaking there necks against a window or mirror.... I don't feel confident cutting the wings myself...

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

In my opinion, responsible budgie-ownership dictates making his flight room safe, not mutilating the bird by wing clipping. Putting a towel, pillow case or newspaper over the mirror, and drawing the drapes or lowering the shades over windows when the bird is out of his cage is not all that much to ask of a responsible budgie owner.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I totally agree with Aaron! Mirrors should be covered or taken down, and windows covered with curtains and or blinds. Birds that have out of cage time, are like little two year old children. They love to explore, and get into everything. Be sure there are no electric cords or computer keyboards available. They love to chew most anything. It is best to always watch them closely, when they are out. I once had one fly into pretty hot kitchen sink water. He was like drowned. Thankfully I got him out of the water, dried him off, and held him in a dry towel to keep him warm for quite awhile.

Personally, my view is wing clipping is like taking a beautiful bird and taking total life and fun away. Birds were created to fly. Their wings are their heart and soul. If you watch them carefully, and remove anything in the room that is dangerous, there is no need to clip wings. I feel out of cage time should not mean flying all over the house from room to room. One small room is plenty of space for them to have fun with you!! Always remember to watch them carefully. Do not leave them, nor leave the room with them out of cage.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-17-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Remove Ads