where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I can't wait to meet you guys!

Name
    Anja
    Thanks

I can't wait to meet you guys!

Hi everyone!

Me and my younger sister got two budgies in 2013 (a male and a female). We bought a third one (another female) about a year after. Sadly, the original two budgies passed away a year ago. The female has been alone for the whole time since. She isn't trained very well except for step-up when I change her newspapers and refresh her food. She's been sitting alone in her cage, hardly moving except for eating, sleeping, and occasional grooming. I think she was depressed once her companions died. This happened last summer and lasted the whole season. I felt really bad about how she was living. It was no way for a bird to live her life.

My sister and I are home schooled so we are home most of the time. We go to a charter school once a week and NCO Bible quizzing every other Saturday during the school year, and of course, the occasional sleep over with friends and shopping days are the only time we're gone all day. When school began this year (well, fall of 2018 so last year I guess), I took to sitting by Misty's cage while doing school. Over these months she's grown used to my presence and doesn't even flinch away while I walk by. She's grown better with my hands too. She does step-up more readily now, though occasionally there still are times when she's cranky and nips me (quite hard sometimes). I've learned she only does this if I move too fast, or do it right after she woke from a doze or when she's tired of me training her. I'm learning to understand her body language and how and when the best times to train her are.

I'm very ashamed of the way I've "ignored" her over the past summer and want to make things right. Her diet is mainly seeds but I've been trying to re-introduce her to veggies. She's grown to love lettuce. I hope to extend her diet to other fresh foods as well. Even though I've owned budgies for the past nearly 6 years, I feel like a newbie and don't know much. I've been reading a lot of articles and learning a ton! It's only me left in my family who really cares of training her so she is my bird, no longer my sister's. I want to make Misty's life happy again. She has already improved a lot and has regained an interest in bathing, grooming, and singing! She hasn't done these things since the other two budgies died. I'm so happy that she's recovering from depression!

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and learning a lot! Sorry if this thread is too long. I'm not sure if there is a limit for this site. Sorry if it is too long.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,232 Posts

Re: I can't wait to meet you guys!

Hi, and welcome to the community. We all, at times, make some not so good choices in life. That is part of being human. I know you are already forgiven! Misty is one lucky budgie to have your attention now, and she is already learning everyday new things, and in the process is bonding great with you. Biting is common for all birds. Some that are even 8-10 years old still bite. So, that may always happen on occasion. And yes!!!!! Those bites do hurt!!!!!

You both have the best of both worlds now. You are best friends, she continues to bond with you, and you love each other! Now that is positively awesome! Just remember that time and patience are on your side. Each day, month, and year will bring something new and exciting for both of you!

Do a Google search..........what seeds and foods to feed budgies. You will get great info about budgie diets. Also, do a search for budgie diets.

We will welcome your updates anytime! I am sending you a big hug and some head scritches for Misty! You go girls!!!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-17-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Name
    Anja
    Thanks

Maxollie, thank you for your warm welcome! I accept the big hug, but I think trying to give Misty a "head scritch" as you say will stress her out. I will just give her a pet on the belly instead! I have looked online for budgie diets and have found a lot of great stuff. I will improve it as soon as I go shopping or possibly order something online.

One question about how this site works. When someone replies to my threads, where will I see it? I belong to another fish forum and there is an "alerts" bar on the top of the screen that shows the number of replies people have sent you to what threads you posted. This site doesn't have that and I actually had to retrace my "footsteps" to create this thread to find your reply. It's kind of confusing, am I missing something?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Hi Anja, Welcome to the site! I am happy you get to spend lots of time with your sweet Misty. She must love having you around all the time. I use to run a home business when I had Boomer and he was my little co-worker who had his play gym on my desk along with some food and water. He sat on my shoulder or wrapped in my hair for hours. I use to nose pet him when he was on my shoulder before he decided to love being petted with fingers. I think all the time spent with Misty makes her a very happy bird.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads