Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Babysitting Cockatiel Soon. He's so sad!

Name
    Anja
    Thanks

Babysitting Cockatiel Soon. He's so sad!

Hi guys,
    A nice couple at my church has had a male cockatiel for some 20 years. I don't know exactly how old he is. They leave once a year to visit their children and grandchildren and I babysit Woodstock while their gone. He isn't trained at all. He is terrified of the human hand. He eats only seeds. He has a teeny cage with only two perches and one mirror toy, a cuttle bone and mineral block. All he does, all day long, is sit in front of his mirror and constantly sing at his reflection. He knows how to whistle "Jesus Loves Me" and say "pretty bird." That's all he does. I'm worried about him. He was this couple's son's bird and they got stuck with him once the son grew up and moved away. Woodstock is a "cranky-old-man" bird and since I only have him for a couple of weeks, I don't know how to help him, and I know his owners wont upgrade his cage or anything major.

Is there anything I can do?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Babysitting Cockatiel Soon. He's so sad!

Awww! It is so kind of you to care for Woodstock while they are away. You know, having had a 20 years of life with them, that in itself is amazing. Woodstock adapted to that life, and I would say your best approach, is to just care for him as you usually do and not try anything new. Now, if for any reason, they would ever decide to give him to you, then, you would take the role of being his owner and caregiver, and could decide what to change. I express these thoughts because, if you were to try something new, and then send him home with them, it could change their regular routine with him, and that could cause grief for them, unhappiness for the bird, and then you would be the blame.

I apologize for sounding so cruel, but with 20 years of being with them, in my view, it is best the routine and care they have established over the years continue as it has for all the years.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-17-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Name
    Anja
    Thanks

Maxollie; Yes, that's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to check. It's so sad that he's in such a small cage his whole life though. It's barely big enough for him to stretch his wings! I would love to own him. I mean, I'm still living with my parents and my family hates his squawking so I can't own him, but I think he only does that because he's calling for Steve (his owner and main caregiver at his home). He quiets down when I'm near his cage and whistle Jesus Loves Me to him or talk to him. I bring his small cage into my piano room and he sits quietly and listens, then starts to whistle calmly and sleepily along (not in tune haha)! If I did own him I'd definitely want to upgrade him to better conditions.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Cockatiels love music, especially piano. I play my piano, and my budgie and tiel love it. They also love classical music on the radio, or a CD. I think it is absolutely awesome he whistles Jesus Loves Me! That is soooo cool. My tiel, Penny whistles the Mickey Mouse song, says pretty bird, and pretty, pretty, pretty, and has the ability to use his beak to peck on his food cup or on the cage floor, and play drum rhythms. This is no joke. I tap the top of a jar can, with a rhythm, and he repeats it exactly as I played it. He is a little over a year old. And my budgie, Muffin, who is seven, has learned every sound and words that Penny my tiel makes. It is amazing. I have homed both species for years, and there is no doubt, birds are very, very intelligent!!

Yes, I am sure he misses Steve. He is being a really good boy, staying with you!!! Enjoy him!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have to agree that leaving him in his cage he has now is the best thing for Woodstock is to keep him in his cage so like Ellen said. It is very sad he has a tiny cage but it does sound like it least he is a happy bird. Guess since he knows no different he just thinks this is the life he is suppose to have.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads