Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My love birds are not fighting but not getting along are they ok?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My love birds are not fighting but not getting along are they ok?

So I have two love birds one is named luna and flys around our house was hand raised and loves people but does not like hands if we keep chasing her off our shoulders she goes on the floor and tries to nibble at our feet we have had her for 4 years and she was sexed as a female and she is a peach face sea green lovebird we got a new love bird who was in it own cage this one was not hand raised and is a fischer/ blackface love bird and looks like a penguin a little bit this bird was in a cage with 5 other love birds did not have anything but perches in its cage and we do not know if it was a male or female but has learned how to ring the bells in its cage by watching our other bird will step up onto your hand but after about a minute will fly away is a home body and does not love to leave the cage only to fly to Luna cage peewee will make noises but if you get too close to its cage it will turn it's back to you and show not intrest and it does not bite we tried to put them both together in a cage that is 2 and a half feet wide either side and is 5 feet tall with two water dishes and food bowls they both have their own coconut toy to sit in wich they love they both love bells and cheap to each other for an hour or two bright and early they are fine eating anything together but luna gets jealous when we try to talk to peewee and has no interest either of them in their abundance of toys but when she is board with make all the way to the opposite side of the cage and try to nip peewees feet but pewee just walks away from her and after a few minutes she gives up and they are back in their places luna will try to feed humans and regurgitate to them they have been together for about 4 days neither of them are hurt and peewee has never been aggressive towards luna but luna has been a little but the other day peewee was spinning back and forth and regergetating next to luna and making noises to her and she just stood about 2 inches away from it and then about a day or two later we herd luna chirping and running away from peewee and she was frazzled and we let her out and she was flying around fazzled and peewee went back to its coconut and luna is shook a little still but I dont know if he was just trying to be with her because luna has gone up and preened peewee and peewee has reciprocated or shunned her it seems that they like each other and then they dont in then they do in then they dont neither of them have gotten hurt and peewees feet have never been injured ever I think it was just a warning or somthing are they ok or are they not are they friends or not I cant tell I thought since they have not attacked each other at all they are fine luna is a little bit chubbier then peewee but not by much they get out of their cage every day and fly in are living room when we have the tv on they think the people on the tv are talking to them when pewee is on me luna gets jealous and tries to bite him it is me and my sister that takes care of them peewee is mine and luna is hers we got peewee because luna was really attached with humans and we thought it would be good if she had a friend because she needs constant attention but we gave her that but we thought she was lonely when we go to work but peewee does not bath does not play with toys does not like swings and is always skeptical of people when peewee is on me it keeps looking around like somthing is going to happen and cannot relax and just decides to fly away and will not go on anyone but me ARE THEY OK OR NOT ? Pewee will not leave his cage even though it is always open when I am home in the living room with it only to fly to Luna cage so we put them together and luna will bath so I am hoping pewee with get the point when watching luna

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: My love birds are not fighting but not getting along are they ok?

Peachfaces like Luna are known to be more aggressive then all the others breeds of lovebirds so perhaps Pewee is a little afraid of Luna. I sure know my peachface Boomer was horrible with all birds and only wanted to attack any bird we brought into our house. I have seen peachfaces with other birds but not many just because they can be such brats to other breeds of birds. If it was me I would keep them in separate cages when they sleep and when you are not at home to supervise them just to make sure Luna doesnt hurt Peewee. Peachfaces can be mean and I have heard of them hurting other birds so just to keep Pewee save when you cannot be there to watch them I would separate them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

So I agree I think the biggest problem is attention luna does not like to share it and that is the time she will go out of her way to scare off peewee when I give peewee attention but I dont know how to get peewee out of his shell I have had peewee since January and has gotten better but will not take food from a hand at all unless left there and I walk away a few steps will not make noise if I am next to the cage but if I am 4 or 5 feet away peewee will peewee is in our living room with people and hears us talk all the time and we will put peewee cage open but will only leave to fly to Luna cage and that is it but will hide away otherwise even tho peewee has free range of the house besides the kitchen and luna will fly around but all peewee will do is peek out or get on the door for a few minutes then go back in and sits in the same spot for hours besides to eat peewee has gotten better and has started to ring bells I just want peewee to feel comfortable out of his/her cage I have a sheet around all sides beside the front so peewee has a safe space but I dont know how to make everywhere safe

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Have you tried to give him treats through his cage bars. I have had birds here that would only take the treat if I turned my head away and not look at them then they will slowly come up and get the food. It sounds like Peewee is just timid and not as outgoing as Luna. Peach faces are usually outgoing but I do not honestly know how a fischer/ blackface love bird acts. Is he a mixed fisher and masked lovebird? Just curious. I think it sounds like Peewee is just shy and timid and perhaps if you sit next to his cage and talk to him or even just sit there reading a book or watching TV so he can get use to your presence being near him could help. Offer him some of his favorite seeds through the cage bar if he friendly towards you to get him to really trust you more. It is a scary world outside of there cages to lots of birds. My friend had a peachface lovebird that she got from someone else who didnt let her out of the cage ever. She was super shy and didnt come out of the cage even if the door was open all day long. My friend just kept on talking to her off and on all day long and offering her treats which eventually after a month started to take out of her fingers. It took almost a year of leaving the door wide open all day long before her lovie finally started coming out and exploring more. After that in about a month little "ham" her lovebird flew to my friends shoulder and the bond was made. Ham finally knew there was a life outside of the cage to have fun and figured out that a human can be really a great person to hang out with. Peewee might be just very shy and I really do hope in time little Peewee will realize just like Ham did that being outside of the cage and being with people in the house isnt so bad after all. My friend was so very patient with Ham and once Ham finally hopped onto her shoulder it made my friend cry happy tears. Birds are funny little souls and it sounds like Peewee one day hopefully will calm down and come out and enjoy life outside of the cage.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.