Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Can I fix Jasmine's tail feathers?

Niki Brand New Egg Madwonderland13's Avatar
    Name
    Niquole
    Thanks

Question Can I fix Jasmine's tail feathers?

Hello! I haven't been on here in forever and just have a quick question. Jasmine's tail feathers seem to be permanenetly bent and screwbally from her climbing and hanging out on the sides of her cage which are her favorite spots. This has resulted in her tailfeathers getting messed up and I would like to know if it is alright or fixable.

This is just a picture of my goofball for you guys.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 1,225 Posts

Re: Can I fix Jasmine's tail feathers?

Hi, and welcome back! Since it is usually very dry in your area, it could be the environment causing her skin and feathers to be very dry. I am hopeful Deanna, our member, will see your post. I think she can answer your question in this regard. What diet does she eat? She is soooooo previous and a real cutie!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Conures are so playful and into everything that they really do seem to mangle there feathers. One good thing this is not her twisting the feathers or barbing her feathers it is just too much play or sitting even like you said beating them up. It would be great if you could get her to like to sit and play somewhere else other then her cage. Tikki my daughters conure has a hanging one of these for his play gym and he loves it! https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-Hat...58138315&psc=1

We put thin cardboard inside lining the little cubes and hung a few toys in them as well but his favorite part is the way top part where we hang a small bell and chain off the top. He beats his bell and talks inside of it. I think it would be much softer on Jasmines feathers.

Tikki barbed his tailfeathers and twisted them all around trying to barber them. He ended up losing almost all of them and looked horrible. We took him to the vets office and they gave him a medicated bath to sooth his skin and kept him overnight to watch him. He surprisingly never touched his tailfeathers again. His vet highly recommended giving him a pea sized dab of organic red palm oil everyday. Tikki licks it off your fingertip and his feathers and even his beak look great now. He also gets a little bit of pure aloe vera pulp mixed in with a little fresh food everyday and lots of bathes, he loves to them! His feathers are beautiful now well except when he gets a little playful with his bells and beats his tail up on his perches while playing. Conures are crazy playful.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 1,225 Posts

That is a really neat p!ay gym, Deanna! And...a great price too!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Tikki adores his but he actually likes the bell that hangs from the top more. Silly bird puts it on his head in it and sings sometimes and sometimes he sings inside of the bell. He cracks me up and yes he loves his hanging play gym. It has a toy in each compartment and of course one of them has a seed bowl inside of it. The only bad thing is he gets way up on top of it when we go to pick him up to put him in his cage. I have to stand on a chair to get in and then he flies away! He is a stinker but too cute not to forgive.

Name
    Niquole
    Thanks

So sorry it is taken me so long to respond! What exactly is barbecuing? I tried a Google search and it didnít really help. So itís not really anything to worry about, just cosmetic? She eats a mixture of seed from our local bird store and fresh fruits and veggies. She loves millet, plain Cheerios, chicken, lettuce, oranges, bananas, and grapes on occasion because of their high sugar content.

Name
    Niquole
    Thanks

I want to get one of these for Jasmine. It could be moved to the top of her cage, or out to the living room when I'm out there more. I would replace the copper bell and wash the dyed wood with my bird cage cleaner just to make sure all excess dye is through removed before use.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pen-Plax-Bird...gateway&sr=8-4
    Last edited by Madwonderland13; 03-11-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added on.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Its is Barbering feathers. The will not pull the feathers out and instead just overpreen the them and pull tiny parts off the feather shaft.

The play gym looks great!

Name
    Niquole
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Its is Barbering feathers. The will not pull the feathers out and instead just overpreen the them and pull tiny parts off the feather shaft.

The play gym looks great!
    Thank you so much! Iím super excited to get it and I will post pictures of it once I am able to order it. Jasmineís new cage will be in tomorrow and I am also very excited about that so there will be pictures soon one way or another.
    Niki!

Remove Ads