Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie nips for no reason. Behavioral norm?

Name
    Anja
    Thanks

Budgie nips for no reason. Behavioral norm?

Hey, so I'm trying to train my 6 year old budgie Misty. It's been a while since I've had time (hem hem... lack of time is no excuse for how you should treat your pets, especially birds!) to train her. She has grown used to me and steps up sometimes. Mainly she does that when I need to put her on a little stand while I refresh her cage. That's about the only time she steps up willingly because it's routine. I'm trying to get her to become more comfortable with my hand.

Lately, I've been holding my palm out flat with seeds in my fingertips. She's grown to come to my hand for the food even if I place my hand across the cage, she comes to it. Now here is where it gets interesting... She usually starts eating the seeds closest to her whilst still standing on the perch. But when the seeds get out of her reach she's started to get comfortable to put one foot up on my hand and reach to the other seeds. I was so happy when she started doing this! The only problem is several seeds after putting one foot up, she starts biting the nearest finger really hard! It's like she goes through this phase of,
    "Oh yay food! (goes to hand)
    "I can't reach those far seeds... (puts foot up so she can reach far seeds),
    "Wait... this is no perch or food tray! I better defend myself! (bites my fingers)."
    Granted, her beak is really tiny and her bites are only a few seconds long for their intensity. It was only today that she broke my skin for the first time. I wasn't bleeding, but it kept hurting for a while after the bite was done. When this happens, I just calmly stay still until she stops biting and steps off. Sometimes she doesn't step off and I wait for her to glare at my hand and gently set her one food back on the perch. Then I wait a short while and go back to her with the food again. I always end this training on a high note with her going through a whole finger-full of seed with no biting.

This behavior has been going on for about a month. She's always been a little biter even before this though. What should I do to train her not to bite? What is evoking her to bite? Am I doing something wrong?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Budgie nips for no reason. Behavioral norm?

I deal with a nippy conure who is very hand friendly but still he nips out of the blue or usually gives me a bite as he is stepping onto my hand. I sometimes think it is just a bite telling me he is in charge and not me but who knows. I always sort of cause a big deal with the bites and act like it hurts by saying ouch and always tell him no bites. He knows what he did which usually he don't care but it least he knows it was a bad thing. With Boomer he was very hand tamed but boy did he bite me hard sometimes out of the blue. Nothing stopped him and oddly enough he never ever would bite my daughter who he adored. She could do anything and never one bite.

I think its great your bird is eating out of your hand and stepping on it as well. that is very good. Change up the treats to see if she will hop onto it with really good treats. I heard Budgies like spray millet so try a tiny bulb of that in your hand. If she likes it put the next one a little further away in your hand and maybe in time she will put both feet on you to get to the yummy millet.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Anja
    Thanks

Oh yes, Misty LOVES millet! I try to keep that limited though because I've read too much of it can make birds obese.

I've read that if a bird nips/bites you, it's usually out of wanting attention or a response out of their owner or because the bird thinks it's in danger, or just to check out it's surroundings ("hey, I can chew on my wood perches, maybe I can chew on this new squishy hand!"). I can't see any of these reasons explaining why my bird is biting. I'm so glad her beak is tiny! I haven't shown any reactions but does that help with your bird? I don't really think she likes my hand either, she just tolerates it and the only reason she eats from it is in the mornings because she's hungry from the night. Otherwise she has no reason to step-up. She doesn't shy away from my hand, she just grips the perch really hard and leans down and back in a way that defies all my orders. Ug... oh well, something to really work on still!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 1,221 Posts

All birds are afraid of hands, early on when we get them, and it is inbred behavior that comes from mother nature. Birds in the wild live in flocks, and are always subject to predators, so they are created to use their beaks for protection from danger.

I think you have made great progress with Misty. Sometimes, it is best to step back and not try something that we know will cause them to bite. Try interacting with her in ways that normally do not cause her to be defensive and bite. Some owners say NO, firmly, and place the bird back in the cage for a time out. Others cover the cage at that time for awhile too.

Personally, I always have to remind myself that my birds may act like human kids, but in reality, they are precious little birds whose minds are not evolved to my level, and I should not expect them to understand me as a child would. Enjoying them and accepting them bites and all is well worth while. They are an awesome pet!!!

Remove Ads