Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Son wanting to fight dad over mom

Brand New Egg Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! harleymin13's Avatar
    Name
    Mindy
    Thanks

Son wanting to fight dad over mom

I have 2 teils (JoJo & Henry) that have been mates for 3 yrs. Their son (Sammy) is 11 months old. Mom & Dad have a new baby, and even before it hatched, Sammy would get in the box with Mom or would fight Dad at the cage door to keep him out. The new baby (Lucky) is 3 weeks old now and Sammy is still doing it. I have to take him out of the cage so Dad can go in and feed the baby. Is he just wanting Moms attention or is he trying to fight for a mate? I think I might have to find Sammy a new home or mate?

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: Son wanting to fight dad over mom

He could be interested in either choice, or both the choices. Sounds like he wants Mom. Since he is her son, possible could be her company, or he could want her for a mate. I think Dad is not getting any respect. Will let you watch the scene awhile longer to see if he just wants moms attention, or is really interested in her.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 1,224 Posts

I would put Samny in his own cage and not let him out to fly free unless the parents and new baby's cage is locked. Samny really needs to have his own home. If you wish to, get him a mate. It could be a male. That way, you will not have to deal with any more babies from him.

It really is for his own good. Being the only offspring from the parents he is like an only child, who is controlling and upsetting the whole family. This is not uncommon. It is a good idea to give babies we keep their own cage at about 12 weeks of age. And to let them fly free out of cage at a different time than parents. Also, if there are siblings, boys and girls should be separated at that 12 week time as well. There should never be inbreeding of siblings.

I hope this info will be of help to you.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-23-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Brand New Egg Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! harleymin13's Avatar
    Name
    Mindy
    Thanks

Sammy has 2 other siblings, Lucky, who is 3 months old. She stays in a separate cage with Sammy. And the new baby is 3 weeks old, who is in the cage with mom and dad. Sammy doesn't pay any attention to his sibling Lucky. I am going to find him another home. Since JoJo and Henry keeps mating, I don't need another pair to mate.

Remove Ads