where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Breathing, mites and other problems

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Deborah Baker
    Thanks

Breathing, mites and other problems

I have a rescue budgie that flew into my garden. When I found him he was covered with face and foot scale. The first image is him then. https://imgur.com/snbe80K I got some spray from the vet here in Spain but after two cans his condition did not improve much and they didnt have anything else to give him. So I managed to get some Avimec from Australia. This has cured the mites and his feathers are starting to grow back (second image). https://imgur.com/ojHS5U9

My questions are: Here is a video of him breathing, is this normal? https://youtu.be/SYJA7kmlpBM His stools and everything else about him (or her) is fine and I am wondering if having the mites for so long has damaged his respiratory system.

Second question I cant tell by his Cere if he is male or female because it does not have any colour at all. Can anyone tell from the images please?

Third question I want to get him/her a friend but dont want them to catch anything from the breathing, although I dont think it would be contagious would it?

Hoping to make him a happier bird with your help please.

Many thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 1,225 Posts

Re: Breathing, mites and other problems

Hi, and welcome! I admire you completely for rescuing him or her. The feathers are a beautuful color. Generally, females do have an ivory color or light color cere. Males have a blue or dark blue cere. Females cere changes to crusty brown color when the hormones kick in, and then they are in breeding condition.

My thought is that she could have been out in the elements for along time, and that could have caused her breathing problem. Or, whoever had her before you, could have been a smoker, or, she was in a smokey area outside.

If possible, talk to the Spanish vet by phone, or email, and describe to him the breathing pattern. Maybe he can give you something for it. Also, start feeding fresh green veggies, and add some bird vitamins to the seed mix, not the water, a few drops about once every ten days. If you can get her back to top condition, maybe the resperatory problem will resolve itself. Also, try feeding some fresh small pieces of raw apple. Rinse them first in a mix of cool water and apple cider vinegar. Do the same with veggies. Vinegar will remove bacteria from all raw veggies and fruits, and will not harm your bird if mixed with water.

Most bird owners quarantine new birds by putting them in
    another room or at a good distance from any other budgies fo up to 30 days, for safety purposes. That way, no germs pass from one to another.

Due to security settings on my device, I could not access pics, but did see the YouTube video!
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-23-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Deborah Baker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome! I admire you completely for rescuing him or her. The feathers are a beautuful color. Generally, females do have an ivory color or light color cere. Males have a blue or dark blue cere. Females cere changes to crusty brown color when the hormones kick in, and then they are in breeding condition.

My thought is that she could have been out in the elements for along time, and that could have caused her breathing problem. Or, whoever had her before you, could have been a smoker, or, she was in a smokey area outside.

If possible, talk to the Spanish vet by phone, or email, and describe to him the breathing pattern. Maybe he can give you something for it. Also, start feeding fresh green veggies, and add some bird vitamins to the seed mix, not the water, a few drops about once every ten days. If you can get her back to top condition, maybe the resperatory problem will resolve itself. Also, try feeding some fresh small pieces of raw apple. Rinse them first in a mix of cool water and apple cider vinegar. Do the same with veggies. Vinegar will remove bacteria from all raw veggies and fruits, and will not harm your bird if mixed with water.

Most bird owners quarantine new birds by putting them in
    another room or at a good distance from any other budgies fo up to 30 days, for safety purposes. That way, no germs pass from one to another.

Due to security settings on my device, I could not access pics, but did see the YouTube video!
    Thank you maxollie. I will definitely follow your advice, thank you for replying. I have been feeding "her" (nice to know she's female) some leafy greens like lettuce.
    I am trying the link to the images again here. Before and after

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 1,225 Posts

I also share that budgies should never eat veggies of the cabbage family, including broccoli, parsley, and kale. Google search cabbage family veggies to get a list. I had a budgie die a few years ago, who had been eating parsley most everyday. The two vets that I found an article written by them on line, said these veggies have a phyto chemical in them that can cause esophagal tumors. My budgie very suddenly could not eat or drink.

I have fed the red or green leaf lettuce and cilantro to budgies. Both did not cause any illness. The best approach to feeding fresh is to give small amounts and different items until they find some favorites they like. Once they have that list it will be easier to feed the veggies, because you know they will eat them. You also can try frozen veggies that have been thawed.

It is my device. I still cannot access the pics.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Wow, what a huge difference in your bird from when you found him and after you treated him. It is amazing the huge change! I hope in time he can breath right again. I have a girlfriend who fosters lots of birds and has quite a few that she owns as well. There are a few of them that have "dry" sinuses and her vet told her to mist them with a saline and purified water mixture and this helps her birds breath much easier. I do not know the solution of how much she mixes but perhaps if you call your vet they can give you the mixture.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I hope the breathing improves. The bird must feel awful when he is having trouble breathing. Certain illneeeee can mess up your breathing. The worse it gets, the worse the person with it feels.

Remove Ads