Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Dr. Foster & Smith / Petco Merger

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Dr. Foster & Smith / Petco Merger

I purchased Tango's pellets (Roudybush) and other cage supplies from Dr. Fosters and Smith. I went to re-order cage liners for his cage and they no longer carry the product. So I get an email from Dr. Foster and Smith stating that they merged with Petco. I almost fell off my chair after I seen the prices. I used to get Tango's cage liners (150 would come in a package) for about $18.00 USD from Dr. Fosters and Smith. I went online to shop around and the one's that fit in my bird cage start at $63.00. That is so crazy!!!

Solution: Ended up buying a roll of Kraft Paper with a cutter for $35.00 USD and I have to cut my own, The replacement roll of paper is about $20.00 USD.. Much better than $63.00 USD

I am not a fan of the litter or the shredded paper at the bottom of the cage. I monitor my birds droppings so the paper makes my life easier. I also like the idea that I remove a sheet each day, sometimes two sheets, depending on what kind of mess he made or decided to give himself a bath in his water dish..

I thought about using paper towel but that will still add up to some serious money, even if I buy it from the dollar store. Oh, I forgot to mention, he is a typical boy.. He is a slob, but I love my little slob.

There is a Petco nearby my home and the couple of times I have been in the store, the store associates were not helpful or didn't want to be bothered. Also, the prices were very high, surprised that the store is still open..

I find it disappointing that this merger happened. Not only did I lose a great supplier with competitive pricing on cage supplies, I lost a reliable source for my bird needs.

Anybody else dissappointed with this merger??
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Re: Dr. Foster & Smith / Petco Merger

Yes, I am. I used Dr. F & S for all the animals--birds, dogs and fish. It's a loss. And here in the northeast, we're also losing the entire Petland chain which was my local go-to, steps from my front door. They're closing down all the stores in NY, NJ, & CT. I'm told the owner recently passed, there's no one to fill the void, and they couldn't compete with the larger, national PetCo and Petsmart. I've found Petland staffs to be a notch above those in the big box stores, many of whom are amiable but not very well-informed.

Have you checked the web for other sources for your liners?

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Myself and my husband spent HOURS online looking for another source for the cage liners. Not a fan of the big box stores either. There is a parrot rescue that just opened nearby our home this past September and that's where we get our tiels food. They don't carry much since it is a rescue/boarding type store. We just support the store because we like what they do. There prices are not over the top and they carry Higgins, Volkan, Harrison's, etc... I have tried Big Al's, Chewy... you name it. Dr F & S was usually are go to place for cage cleaning and accessories.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thankfully my husband is a pressman and he brings home big rolls of paper end rolls. He cuts them into sheets at work for my daughter to use for Tikki and we use the rolls for all kinds of things. Thanks awful Foster and Smith are now Petco. I never really liked Petco
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Deanna your so lucky.. This has been quite the challenge. I was cutting the paper off the roll and my hands are sore from trimming it to size.

My cousin gave me an idea.. She told me to look into packaging paper like the movers use (U-Haul & Two Men and a Truck).. So I went to the U-Haul and they had this available..
    https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...pack)/?id=4817

I am going to give this a try. Yes, there will be trimming, but $9.95 for 200 sheets and no curling of the paper.. At this point, I will try anything.

Tiels:

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The link just brought you to the uhaul supply page so I am guessing it is the newsprint paper that is cut up you are going to buy? It looks good to me since a normal newspaper is bird safe as long as it is printed with "safe" ink. Just incase some people don't know the colored paper in newspapers is NOT bird safe and neither is the shiny paper. One good thing about news print paper is it will not give your birds paper cuts as easily as the paper my husband brings home. Honestly we never had a bird get cut by the paper but boy have our fingers been cut by it when we ripped it off the big rolls he gets.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

It's the plain white paper from U-Haul. This is the paper that starts at $9.99 for approx. 200 sheets. I would prefer to go with the white because I monitor Tango's droppings.. I am thinking it is just as safe as newspaper. We don't subscrbe to any newspapers anymore. They ended up in our shrubs or if it was raining, they would get wet.. Not worth it. Below is the product description that I copied from the U-Haul web page.

Product Description

Part Number:
    WP

U-Haul packing paper is an acid free and ink free newsprint paper ideal for protecting fragile items such as dishes, glassware, valuables, collectibles, home décor, and much more. It can also be used to fill open spaces in moving boxes and storage containers to prevent items from shifting. Keep items safe and secure while in storage or during a move!

Clean, white newsprint keeps you and your possessions ink free!

Each sheet is approximately 24" x 30"
    Minimum of 200 sheets per box
    Acid free
    Use for classroom art and drawing projects too!
    Recyclable

Tiels:

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Sounds perfect! I liked the white paper here too but sometimes my husband would mix it up and cut up light green paper for Boomer because as he said it "matched" Boomer Husbands can be so silly sometimes.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Sounds perfect! I liked the white paper here too but sometimes my husband would mix it up and cut up light green paper for Boomer because as he said it "matched" Boomer Husbands can be so silly sometimes.
    Now that's funny!! Sometimes mine can be just as silly.. I will let you know how the paper works out..

Tiels:

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

I bet it will work out just fine. White newsprint has been used by many budgie-keepers for years and years with no complaints.

Remove Ads