Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rest in Peace my Little Yellow Best Friend

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Rest in Peace my Little Yellow Best Friend

I can barely see to type right now I can't stop crying. My heart is broken wide open and my home is empty. This morning when Dave woke Snitch up she was sitting in the bottom of her cage. He woke me up and I came downstairs and she was fluffed up sleeping head under her wing in the bottom. I talked to her and she wasn't reacting. I immediately called the vet. Vet is closed so I called the emergency clinic. They only do cats and dogs but gave me a number for a place in Guelph (about an hour drive) which I called and made an appointment for 3:10pm. I walked back over to the cage and opened it and picked her up and she didn't even flinch or fight. I knew at that moment it was bad and begged her to hang on until we got to the vet. I put her in her carrier case and we left immediately and called the vet back to let them know we were on our way. She stayed upright but nestled down all the way there until we pulled into the parking lot and then she fell over on her side. I ran in with her and handed her off to the nurse who took her back to give her oxygen. The vet was there and said she tried to resuscitate her but was not able to. She said she examined her fully and could not see anything but a very healthy canary. They offered to do an autopsy but I couldn't see a point - knowing what it was (if it was nothing that even the vet could diagnose from looking at her) is not going to bring her back, only defile her body. We brought her home, put her favourite toy in the box with her and have put her in the freezer in the basement so we can bury her under my peony in the spring when the ground thaws.

I never imagined when I first saw her that I could grow to love her so completely or that I would be this destroyed by her loss. It's too soon, she was still young, and we should have had so many more road trips and cottage summers and afternoons playing and flying around my bedroom to spend together. I miss her so much already and I don't know how my heart will ever heal.

I can't even bring myself to tell anyone but you guys because I know you all know what i am going through and can understand how I feel.

RIP Snitch, you were the most loved and lovely canary I could possibly wish for. My heart will break every time I walk into the house and you are not here to greet me with "Hi Baby Bird!"

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,198 Posts

Re: Rest in Peace my Little Yellow Best Friend

Awww, Missy!! I am so sorry this has happened. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a precious little bird. My heart hurts for you. I know how much you loved Snitch, and how she loved you right back. I admire you completely for getting her to the vet asap! Often times we never do know what happened to them. I think you were wise to bring her back home so you cash bury her under the peony bush in the springtime.

We are here for you. My words are so inadequate to write to you! But I am sending my sincere sympathy and hugs!!!

Fly high and free, Sweet baby Snitch! Over the rainbow bridge! Rest in peace!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My heart breaks for you and sadly know how awful it is to lose them. They really do touch our hearts and losing them is so very painful. It is one of the really big reasons I have not gotten any pets any more after Boomer died. It just hurts so bad to lose them. Time helps but forever you will remember your sweet little Snitch.

This poem helped me with my pain and hopefully it will help you. I still cannot read it without getting tears in my eyes because the words are so true. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...Lend-Me-a-Bird

Hugs to you!

Fly free little Snitch, you were truly loved...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Thank you Ellen and Deanna. That poem is really sweet. It's so hard every day. Everything reminds me of her. I can't walk into the produce section of the grocery store without thinking I should pick up broccoli or greens for her, I walk in the door or into the living room and turn to where her cage was to say hello to her and she's not there. When I watch TV I listen for her chatter in response to applause or music. When I go to bed at night I feel like I am forgetting something because I haven't covered her cage. She just leaves such a big hole in my heart where her sunshine and songs used to be. I think I am having a much harder time this week than I did even after my grandparents died because she was such a big part of my life every single day. I'm a zombie at work and an emotional wreck at home. Thank goodness I have the whole weekend off this week and can just hopefully work through the grief a little more with some more time to mourn and let it all out.

Thank you again for understanding and for your kind words. Nothing can take the sadness away but its a great comfort knowing you all are out there sending virtual hugs and understanding what I am feeling.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Missy, so sorry of the passing of Snitch. Between myself, Deanna and Ellen, we feel your pain and the emptiness in your heart. It's amazing how we get attached and our precious birds become a major part of family and our lives. When I lost my Piper, I was an absolute train wreck and a Zombie. It's okay to be that way because you Snitch had a wonderful bond. Sending you virtual hugs.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    My heart breaks for you and sadly know how awful it is to lose them. They really do touch our hearts and losing them is so very painful. It is one of the really big reasons I have not gotten any pets any more after Boomer died. It just hurts so bad to lose them. Time helps but forever you will remember your sweet little Snitch.

This poem helped me with my pain and hopefully it will help you. I still cannot read it without getting tears in my eyes because the words are so true. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...Lend-Me-a-Bird

Hugs to you!

Fly free little Snitch, you were truly loved...
    I just love that poem. I have it in a frame next to Piper's picture.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Me too Carolyn. It hangs under a dream catcher I made with Boomers feathers that were in his cage after he died.

I feel that out of all the animals I have owned losing Boomer was and still is the hardest one to lose. Birds are just so in your face all the time, demanding attention, cheeping and acting so cute you have to smile at them every time you look at them. My heart hurts for you Missy because I know how sad and raw the pain was the first month after we lost Boomer. Still sending you hugs and love.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads