Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bird hardly sleeps, hormones?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    El
    Thanks

Bird hardly sleeps, hormones?

Hi,

I was just curious, my cockatiel seems to be going through aggressive mood swings lately and not sleeping much, which I think is hormones possibly?

The other day he bit me hard on the lip for no reason, which earned him some time in the cage and covered for the rest of the day. However, I've noticed lately, he hasn't been sleeping at all. During a good portion of the night hours when sleeping, I hear him walking around the bottom of the cage, tearing up newspaper, and looks like he's trying to build a nest (I thought it was females doing this usually and not males?). I'm positive the bird isn't a female since it sings a lot and the head is a bright yellow, as well as displaying the typical 'male' behavior.

In any case, his behavior has been frustrating lately, covering him for a longer period of time as suggested hasn't really worked since whenever he's in the cage he's tearing at the newspaper on the bottom (so, not sleeping). And when he's out of the cage he's much noisier than usual (constant chattering / screeching). When he does come to us he's a lot more aggressive and tends to bite more. At this point I don't let him on my shoulder much since I don't trust that he won't bite me when he's in this 'mode'. And I don't care if it's mean but a bite on the lip automatically means detention for the rest of the day, I'm not going to reward that type of behavior by letting him stay out of the cage whenever he does that. Mind you, when he's in this mode, these aren't tiny nips, but ones with purpose behind it, like the bite and hold ones.

Any suggestions? Maybe removing the paper at the bottom of the cage?
    Last edited by el_nino; 03-11-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Bird hardly sleeps, hormones?

My daughters conure will act like this when he is feeling hormonal as well. The biting is really bad but oddly Tikki only bites men. He is a sweet natured bird normally but when his hormones rage he gets very aggressive. Not sleeping much is usually not seen here but Tikki stays up late usually and then my daughter will wheel his entire cage into the spare room (Tikki's room) for the night. He usually settles right down and goes to sleep so it is much different then your cockatiel. Do you turn off the big lights and only leave a small night lite on? Cover his cage? Tikki gets a blanket over his cage and has a night lite.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,230 Posts

It soon will be spring, and the time for cockatiel hormones!! Sounds lime your bird is into them a!ready. The time out is a good discipline. Hormones can last for a few weeks. The paper shredding is normal and if it were me I would let him have the paper. Taking it away will not stop the hormones, and in my view, will only frustrate him more. Biting often increases in hormone time. I would be alert to the possible biting. In my view it will continue until his hormones calm down.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    El
    Thanks

Ok thanks. He's fully covered at night, so even more so I was wondering why he was trying to nest in total darkness. The behavior seems to be tapering off some, but I wondered if it was made worse by adding paper to the bottom of the cage, since it started around that time. Could be just coincidence though

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

It could be the paper. All the birds I know love to play with the paper on the bottom. Tikki my daughters conure will play for hours under his paper in the day time but not at night like your silly boy. I am happy he isn't doing it so bad now and hopefully he will decide it is better to do it in the day time.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quite honestly, birds really prefer nesting either covered up, or at night, so it is not unusual for him to be nesting at night. Females sometimes lay their eggs during the night.

Remove Ads