where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Yeah so found out Des has a oral bacterial infection

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

Yeah so found out Des has a oral bacterial infection

Got Des back yesterday from vets and he has an oral bacterial infection and is on antibiotics for 10days and Isolation for a month. I have to give him the meds myself as my sister not live at home anymore. So she showed me how. Just hoping can manage or she will have to pop in each day and don't want things to be hard for my sister, She said isn't hard to give him it . Hhaha I am hoping so anyway. I need to learn anyway.

Also vet thinks to try birds on half pellets. Basically my cockatiels not to keen on fruits and vege and Des been eating poop (So maybe nutrient deficiency) I try so many times with the fruits and vege and they just ingore them << They never wanted to try pellets either so that gonna be hard too.

Frodo at least likes his fruits and vegetables.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Yeah so found out Des has a oral bacterial infection

I am sorry he has a infection and I really do hope the medicine will make him better. It is tough the first few times you give them medicine but trust me it does get easier once you figure out how to hold them and get the syringe into there beak. I learned it is easier on them with less spitting up the meds if you give them tiny sips of the medicine out of the syringe rather then squirting the entire dose into their beak. But then that depends how much of it you have to give to them because sometimes it is a full dose and sometimes it is just a few drops.

Getting the flock to eat better food is going to be tough but hopefully if one of them eats it first they all will decide to eat it
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

Re: Yeah so found out Des has a oral bacterial infection

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I am sorry he has a infection and I really do hope the medicine will make him better. It is tough the first few times you give them medicine but trust me it does get easier once you figure out how to hold them and get the syringe into there beak. I learned it is easier on them with less spitting up the meds if you give them tiny sips of the medicine out of the syringe rather then squirting the entire dose into their beak. But then that depends how much of it you have to give to them because sometimes it is a full dose and sometimes it is just a few drops.

Getting the flock to eat better food is going to be tough but hopefully if one of them eats it first they all will decide to eat it
    Yeah hoping medicine will help. I mean hes still been stuffing his face with food and such. He just bites syringe when give him the meds so I guess that makes it easier. Its only a very small dose

Yeah I try so many times and they just avoid most fruits and vege and only really like leafy greens and corn. o.o

Remove Ads