Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Evie Passed Away Today

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Evie Passed Away Today

Hi friends, it's been a long time since I've posted, hope everybody's doing well

It was a sad day today, my beloved rescue tiel Evie passed away in my arms. She has been a chronic egg laying hen and last week she had an egg binding incident. The egg was expelled on her own but it caused a prolapse. For those who know about prolapse, it is a very serious condition where the bird's inside is literally exposed at the vent. It was a horrible, scary sight

The vets here were hopeless and most didn't even want to see her because they "don't see birds" . I was able to get some good advice and kept the prolapse and the area around it clean. I put KY jelly to keep it from drying out. I finally was able to see a vet who has bird patients and he only made matters worse by cleaning her bottomside with a gauze and saline solution when she needed to be soaked. Went home with antibiotics but the swelling became horrible after that cleaning

She was a trooper though, hanging on for a whole week and a day. Such a brave girl. She passed away as I held her with a warm heating pad, she kept staring into my eyes and then her breathing stopped

We had an amazing 2 years with her after rescuing her from a tall pine tree while looking for our other missing tiel Penny

She will be sorely missed and forever loved
    Bring Penny Home

Team Penny

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: Evie Passed Away Today

Awwww!! I am so. sorry you have lost Evie! She was a beautiful bird! And it was amazing how you found her. My heart hurts for you, because you first lost Penny, and now you have this sorrow!

From what I have read, this is often hard to treat. I am sorry that vet used the gauze and saline. I am not convinced those two helped at all. But, I admire you for finding someone to examine her, because you knew it had to be examined.

I am sending you hugs and love, Kalei. We are here for you!

Fly high and free, Evie! Over the rainbow bridge! Rest in peace!

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Evie had a sad last week due to the egg binding, and then a problem to find a vet that knew a lot about bird health, binding,etc.
    Sounds like the vet did not care for her the way you preferred. Sometimes you just happen to come across a great vet. I had one in a 24 hour emergency clinic. He was better with my bird than my regular vet who was an Avian trained vet. He also charged more reseonable rates. You did your best to help Evie.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My heart hurts for you Kalei because no one should have to deal with this prolapse without a vet to help you out. It is awful the vet you did find used Saline on her because no doubt that had to hurt her. It is very hard to treat a prolapse and it is rare for a bird to make it through this. I do know of one cockatoo who did but this Too had a excellent avian vet and a very much trained bird parront taking care of her. Without a doubt it must of been so very hard to hold her as she passed away but it had to mean everything to your sweet little Evie to have you there for her. Sending you big hugs and lots of love.

Fly free Evie...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Cathy DuPont
    Thanks

So sorry to know of your loss of Evie. When I hear of a loving bird passing, I think how difficult it must be. Please know that Evie is now without pain and she loves you still.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kiara
    Thanks

I think I speak for everyone when I say we'll be here for you.... and this quote may help:
    I will be here when the laughter turns to crying
    Through the winning, losing and trying
    We'll be together, because I will be here

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kiara
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by #Kiara View Post
    I will be here when the laughter turns to crying
    Through the winning, losing and trying
    We'll be together, because I will be here
    (Meaning Evie will still be there in spirit if not in body

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for such kind words, they are deeply appreciated.

Sweet Evie will surely be missed. We all loved her and I learned so much from her and rescue birds in general.

I did contact a highly respected pet medium who said she is happy on her journey to her new world... she is surrounded by many, many other birds and they are all happy and healthy and dwell in a huge tree together.

Evie was also amazingly greeted and helped along her journey by my deceased tiel Sunny Boy who went over to the Rainbow Bridge in July 2014... how amazing is that!

Thank you all for your support and love

Rest in Love our dear, sweet Evie

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! Even though we wish Evie was with you still, I am so happy for you that the medium gave you good news that she is in a huge big tree with many other birds.. My intuition tells me my Ollie, the cockatiel, and my budgie, Maxi are in that big tree too! And leave it to Sunny Boy to be with Evie on her journey! That is amazing.

I am sending you love and hugs! How is Cecil doing?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

This post brought tears to my eyes thinking of the birds who are up in the big trees in the afterlife. I know my sweet Boomer is somewhere up there and he looked over us for many years after he died. He sent us feathers and strips of his shredded papers here whenever we needed to know he was OK and also to tell us he was happy and OK in birdy heaven. He also cheeped from our backyard to my husband many times because honestly my poor husband was so very torn up about Boomer dying and he needed to hear those sweet chirps. It is good to know that your medium says your two birds are happy together in that tree Kalei. Sending you hugs and love.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Evie has gone to heaven, aka bird heaven. Wish you well , you gave Evie 2 good years. She also gave you the same. The egg binding in birds can kill thm even faster that Evie suffered. It is a problem, the egg binding. Hopefully, your next bird will have a long healthy life and few health issues.

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Thanks again for everyone's kind words

I do believe all of our beloved birds who have passed are in that huge bird tree in birdie heaven!!! All healthy and happy....

Cecil is doing ok, we have been paying him more attention and providing more toys and other stimulation. He has a very strong personality and always seemed like such a solo bird and I think with all the love and care he will continue to strive and be fine

Yes, prolapse is a very serious condition in both male and female birds but esp females who are chronic egg layers. The pet medium saw 2 eggs in her... one had been laid (soft shell) but she saw another that was backed up in her. What a terrible condition and although Evie had a healthy, well balanced diet with extra calcium, it was inevitable this would happen after time since she kept laying... plus the medium also mentioned she wasn't as young as we thought, she was about 10, making her chronic laying have even more serious consequences. She couldn't tell me exactly how long she was in the wild before we rescued her in 2017 but she said it was for quite some time

Thank you friends for being there and for the love and support, esp after we first rescued Evie and Cecil (and lost Penny)... I appreciate it will the wholeness of my heart!!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We will forever be here for you Kalei. This is why we all hang around the site and check in often because we all need each other at times. Big hugs to you and your Mom.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You know, at the time you found Evie, I did wonder if she had been out in the wild for a long time, or, whoever had her, had homed her for several years. You and I both experienced chronic egg laying. Myself with Ollie. And you with both Penny and Evie. Even though losing them was so difficult for you and I, we are blessed to know our love for birds brought you and I together as friends, with such beautiful birds, who loved us soooo much, and they showed that love by laying eggs all the time. I know my Ollie loved to nest and lay her eggs. In their journeys with us, we learned many lessons about bird life. And to think they both are together now, and are happy in bird heaven in that giant tree with all birds that have passed. We will be rejoined with them, one fine day when we arrive in heaven!

I am happy for you that Cecil is doing so well. I think his personality is one great bird to have in a home. Very laid back, and loving the single life.

I think mediums are awesome!!

We will welcome your updates anytime!!!! (((((((((Hugs)))))). And Love! Ellen
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-29-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Remove Ads