Thread: One or Two Budgies? Which sex?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kiara
    Thanks

Question One or Two Budgies? Which sex?

Hello all,

I have been wondering about buying budgies for some time, however:

Soo... I am thinking about having budgie/s but the One vs. Two is a bit of a problem for me...
    I am aware that one would be tamer, but would that be fair? I am at school, but when at home I have a lot of spare time. However, two would probably be happier, but I will not be allowed to have them if they are just 'something to look at' and are not tame- and I know it will be difficult to tame two. Please give me your idea as to what I should do- one or two?

I did have another idea though would like feedback- would it work? It is to buy two budgies, cage them separately but in view of each other, tame each and then introduce them to each other? Would they then still be tame?
    Please give me thoughts and suggestions!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: One or Two Budgies? Which sex?

I know many people who have just one bird and that bird is super happy being a only bird. Boomer tried to live with a couple of birds before we had him and he hated the birds and attacked them horribly. We got him from my sister because it was either we take him or she was giving him to to someone else. Tikki my daughters conure is a only bird and he is very happy and super friendly as well. I have a girlfriend who has owned 3 budgies at separate times and her budgies were very happy and they all talked like crazy and were very happy birds. But I also know many people who have flocks of birds who are happy as well so to me it is a individual choice for you to make for your bird. Alone or with a flock as long as you are there to be with them part of your day the bird will be fine.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kiara
    Thanks

Hello Deanna,
    Thanks for your advice, I actually contacted a breeder explaining my circumstances- she thinks that one bird is right for me too. What sex do you recommend?

Niki Brand New Egg Madwonderland13's Avatar
    Name
    Niquole
    Thanks

I personally would go meet with the breeder and hang out with a few of the different budgies you are looking at and see if there is one you 'connect' with more than the others. See if one kind of stands out more to you or seems to have an interest in you and then go with that one. It would be a great way to start a relationship if they are already expressing some interest in you versus just pointing to one and saying "yeah, that one works" ya know? That's just how I would do it. I did the same thing when I was trying to choose a kitten from it's litter, and the same for choosing a puppy, or dog in general. I sort of let the animal choose me as well.
    Niki!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kiara
    Thanks

OK, thanks Niki. Does anyone have a recommendation on which sex?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I feel you could go either way. One budgie gets along well alone. I have homed budgies for years. Flocks and only one at a time. A single budgie will be a happy camper with a swing, and two or three small mirrors in the cage. I call them mirror girlfriends and boyfriends. My single budgies spent lots of time in the mirrors, singing, pecking at the mirror, talking to the mirror, etc.

I also worked everyday over the years, and would leave a radio or CD player running throughout the day while I was away. Budgies LOVE music, especially Latin and classical. I never had a lonely budgie!

If I were to have two budgies, then I would be sure to get two males, and they should be the same age. An o!der budgie will often be dominant over, can control, and even bully a younger one. And quite honestly, a male and female will focus on each other, and will mate, the hen lay eggs, and hatch babies. It would be up to you to decide if you are interested in breeding.

Two females often times do not get along well, because even single hens, without a male in the cage, can lay eggs, and often times the egg layer gets aggressive with the other female.

I think the idea of visiting a breeder is a good one, if at all possible. There are some breeders who do a DNA test on their babies, so you will definitely know which sex you are getting. Budgies generally are not easy to sex until they are about 6-9 months old when they are ready for puberty. You could have an avian vet do the test for you as well, but if you prefer one sex over the other, the test would need to be done before you buy the bird or birds.

Personally, over the years I have had great success with males only. Even two males are great buddies. On occasion, all birds spar abit, if there are other birds in the cage. Further, I would have an extra cage on hand if you get more than one, in case they have to be separated due to aggression. And also, a second csge is good to have in case of emergency.

Budgies are very special and great friends to have in your life!!! I LOVE them!! P!ease update if you get one or more. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-20-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kiara
    Thanks

I have been advised to wait by my parents, if and when I do I will certainly update!

Remove Ads