Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Soon to be GCC parent! I need some input please :)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Haimish
    Thanks

Soon to be GCC parent! I need some input please :)

Hello there

Within this week, I will be bringing home my new GCC He/She is about 3-4 month old from a small breeder a few cities over(about an hour drive).
    I'll be posting pictures when I receive him/her. For now, we will call it a her since I have the gut feeling its a female(of course I could be very wrong :P ).

With that said, I want to be sure I am getting all the points down for ensuring the best transition possible.
    For one, during the morning, the bird will be in the living room spending time with my parents, but then during the rest of the day into evening, will spend its time in my room with me. I plan on bringing the cage into my room and keeping her in my room for the first few days as my room tends to stay very quiet

We purchased this cage which arrives tomorrow
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A bigger cage will be coming soon. My bff's fiance is planning on building an indoor walking aviary this summer so she will be giving me her Prevue cage (I think it's 36 X 25 or something like that).

*I was wondering what types of perches I should get. I've read some different things online and was just confusing myself more and more
    I know manzanita is a must. I read that a rope perch is a must, but I also read against this because her nails can get stuck and she can hurt herself in the panic?.

Regarding toys, I know that cloth type toys are dangerous, as are the cozy hut things. I'll be picking up toys without these in the next few days, before the little one comes home.
    What toys do you suggest? As in what types should I get my bird.

Next, diet, which is concerning to me, but something that can be remedied I pray
    Currently, she is being fed volkmans cockatiel and also mixed in sunflower and safflower. I want to change this. I know that fresh fruit and veges are important, but I want to do a ratio, from what I researched of 80 %pellet to 20% seed. What brands would you suggest for a GCC and what size? I heard Roudybush and Zupreem were good. I'd also need advice on introducing pellets.

Spray millet is also on the shopping list. As is cuttlebone.
    Also bird safe wipes to wipe down the cage as well

Regarding a cage cover, I plan on running to the fabric store and buying something. Are there fabrics that are recommended or that I should avoid?

Sorry for the questions. I just want to ensure that my GCC has the best life possible.

Thank you!
    Last edited by OceanMelodie; 04-02-2019 at 02:52 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: Soon to be GCC parent! I need some input please :)

Hi, and welcome to the community. We do have some conure owners here. I am hopeful they will see you'd post, and answer you very soon!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Soon to be GCC parent! I need some input please :)

It will honestly be no hurry getting a new cage right away because the one you have bought is a great cage and the exact same one Tikki my daughters conure has. He loves it and uses every inch of that cage to play around in but he also gets lots of time out of the cage too. I highly recommend you put paper on the bottom of the cage because if you girl is like Tikki she will love playing on the bottom of the cage and it is much easier to keep clean by just removing a piece of the paper everyday. It also makes a great play area with the paper there instead of just the grate bars down there. As far as rope perches goes they are good for some birds and really bad for others. Tikki chewed his and would get the tiny pieces of string in his beak and roll them into a ball and we worried he was ingesting strings so we took his out and replaced them with Manzanita and other wood perches. We have manzanita growing like weeds here so we cut them and then use a rough piece of sandpaper to roughen the wood up because Manzanita is slippery on there bird feet and Tikki slipped off of them often. You definitely need to get some sort of shallow pan to use as a bath bowl in the cage. Tikki loves his baths and cannot resist jumping into anything that has water so be warned, cover your drinks and if your girl is out of the cage when you turn on a faucet she will be flying over to jump into that water.

Conures play rough and hard and are such great birds. If you know for a fact yours is a girl be careful about buying things like huts or boxes and maybe shredding toys because this could set her into egg laying mode and you do not want that. Tikki loves his bells and he has lots of them and he rings them and talks into them. We think he likes the sound of his voice in them Talk to your bird all the time and repeat things to her as well and she may be a crazy talker like Tikki is. Tikki can blow you perfect kisses and he learned it within a few days of us blowing him lots. Shredding toys are always fun but it will encourage girls to lay eggs when they become mature so be careful about them. The best toy you can give your bird for free is YOU! Birds love to sit with you and do things you are doing. Play games with your bird, read books, do everything. Boomer was like my daughters brother and our son because he was always with us. He or I might say we had "flock meals" with him. If we ate he was right there and we gave him a little dish of what we ate that was bird safe for him. He was a HUGE part of our family. Tikki is somewhat but my daughter has indoor cats and dogs so Tikki sits in his cage most of the time.

Diet is a big thing and honestly I would keep on feeding her the Volkman Cockatiel seed mix. It is a great seed mix and all birds need seeds. Our avian vet always tells people to feed a good seed mix, pellets and lots of good for them people food and most important, let the bird decide what to eat and dont force nothing. Tikki eats it all and he is a GREAT eater. He loves his volkman, roudybush and really loves his TOPS pellets and sprouting seeds. Since you are in California you might be able to find the TOPS brand at good bird stores close to you or you can order it direct from the company or on Amazon which is cheaper because shipping is free. The pellets and the Napoleon Seed mix sprouted is amazing and Tikki LOVES both. We have a store in the Sacramento valley that carries the TOPS so we get it nice and fresh.

Well now that I posted you a book here I will end it by saying without a doubt you are going to LOVE your GCC. I always thought that lovebirds would be the only bird I truly loved but Tikki came along and proved that Green Cheeks are wild and crazy and very loveable just like lovebirds. Have fun with your bird!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads