Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budgies are...well..just.. Really boring.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Budgies are...well..just.. Really boring.

Hi all,

I know I posted several times about my budgies behaviour.... But to be honest it's just gotten to the point were there so boring!!!! I'm not saying it in anger or anything it's just I'd thought by now the birds would atleast be playing with there toys? I still cannot get them to eat anything other than seeds (I've tried many things to get them to try something other than seeds but no success...). I understand it takes time for them to get used to yr hand but why won't they eat anything other than seeds? Why are they so boring? (They rarely nibble the iodine block or cuttlefish bone...)

I know it's probably a 'horrible' thing to say but I'm not trying to be mean I'd just like to know why there like this and is it normal for them to be like this? And yes, I did my research on the animal before I got them so I knew what I was getting. But most people said they are playful (I've 2 friends who own budgies and I asked them what there's where like)

any advice would be appreciated.......

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Budgies are...well..just.. Really boring.

It depends upon your own definition of boring. They are not like playing with a dog or cat, or a bigger animal. They are very entertaining to watch, and those I have homed over the years do not always play with toys. When there is more than one, they are busy playing with each other. Eating seeds is their favorite food. Being a smaller bird of the parrot family, they are not into a food variety, as much as birds like cockatiels. The success of them eating other foods is possible only if you keep trying different foods, every single day, until you find something they like. I have had success with leaf lettuce, not head lettuce, and cilantro. Also, try feeding small pieces of whole wheat bread. If the seed mix is a great mix, they can thrive on the seeds without a need for lots of other foods. And generally, they do not eat the cuttlebone and mineral block every day. Check your seed mix sack to see if there is vitamin D3 and D and other minerals.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-04-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply!
    Well I woulndt let them near my dog or rabbits Incase they passed on any parasite to them. (If you know any that the birds could pass on please let me know!) I'm kinda OCD about parasites! But the budgies aren't even entertaining to watch... I keep them in my room but they rarely play or do anything. I have tried lettuce with the birds but as usual they didn't want want it... I've tried many fruit and veggies with the birds but they didn't want them. I'm considering clipping there wings, just until they fully bond to me and so I can let them out of the cage without worrying (as there not fully hand trained) I can only get them to com to me if I've millet...and millet makes such a mess on the carpet!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Honestly every bird has different personalities. Boomer was a boring caged bird, actually he was obnoxious because he just cheeped really loud to get out. Once out he was so much fun to be with because he had to be part of everything we did. He had to eat with us, more like eat our food! He played games with us when we played and he was always snooping around you and giving you little love nips. Tikki my daughters conure is wild and crazy and always playing and a very happy bird. My sisters Amazon Mango is a huge fat bore He just sits around until he finally will ring his bell. Even if he is out he just sits around and chills. Her Cockatoo is a huge clown and loves to play and hop around everywhere. Birds are just fun to look at no matter what they do and not all birds eat other foods. Boomer only ate the food we were eating and he had to eat it off our plate or he wouldn't eat it. Tikki eats everything.

Clipping there wings just enough to stop them from gaining too much height and letting them come out might be something your birds like. Just make sure it is a not a big clip or they will not be able to do much because they wont be able to get height to go places.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Why don"t you offer the 2 budgies to a friend or neighbor since you are not fond of them. Give them a chance for a happy home with a person who has experience with raising budgies.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birdmanca View Post
    Why don"t you offer the 2 budgies to a friend or neighbor since you are not fond of them. Give them a chance for a happy home with a person who has experience with raising budgies.
    I got the budgies to keep me company and to act as someone to talk to in my room... As to be honest, I don't have any friends my only friend seem to be my animals. I spend a lot of time in my room due to not having anyone to go out with. I know it's sad... My mum wouldn't let me bring the dog up to my room and when I tried to bring the rabbits up they got stressed out sorry if this its emotional I'm actually crying writing it (I haven't had a good life, I've been bullied a lot and I suffer from a lot of mental health problems.) I really want to make it work with these budgies, so they can be my new best friends

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question Re: Budgies are...well..just.. Really boring.

Hi all

I used a reference from a diagram to clip the budgies wings. I don't understand why people say it's cruel as the birds can still glide . I hope to do some bonding with them tomorrow (as there stressed after getting cut). I'm going to let them out of the cage without the fear of them flying off hopefully this will help with there bonding to me

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi again
    So I clipped the budgies wing feathers last night but now tidy I've notice a lot of chest/back feathers (I'm unsure) from one of the birds I'm assuming it's stress. But I really didn't want this to happen. I really don't wnt to birds to feather pluck any advice ? Please help?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Anytime you clip a birds wings, it is quite traumatic for them, and can cause them to molt other feathers on the body. Also, the wings can bleed if a person does not have knowledge of how to clip. And, the wings have to be cut the same on each side, otherwise the bird will not be in balance when trying to fly.

I feel sad for you that you are living as you are in your home. But please know that you are a person who has COURAGE to live as you are, and never give up on HOPE for a better life for you! I know from experience of my childhood, that even though we, as children, are not able to experience our lives like we would wish to, we still can make our lives worthwhile, like reading, listening to music, playing with our pets, singing, playing the radio or CD player, and most of all watching your little budgies every day. When I was 11, I was given my first budgie. And my little budgie was the best part of my life. I only fed him seed. When I came home from school, my Mickey, was always waiting for me. And he lived for 9 years, eating only seeds, and drinking water, and eating cuttlebone once in awhile. And here I am, a grandma now, with 4 beautuful gramddaughters, and I still LOVE. and have birds. A cockatiel named Penny, and a 7 year old budgie, Muffin who is blind, but each day he is happy, sings, can play with his mirror girlfriends, and eat his seeds and drink his water, all without being able to see anything all. He too has courage!

If I were there with you, I would give you hugs and wipe your tears away!! Never give up. Never!! And enjoy your budgies, even if they. are not very active. One of these days, they just might surprise you and end up to be chatter boxes!!!!! You are brave and courageous, and your budgies are your best friends to be with you every minute of the day. I know how I loved my Mickey, because I too felt very alone in those days when I was young. But I thanked God for having my budgie so I would not feel so alone, and you can do that too! He will always comfort us, and that is awesome.

My suggestion to you is to not clip anymore wing feathers. It will take a few months for them to grow back. And quite honest!y, I do not think c!lipping them is too good of an idea! I know if I were a little budgie, I would cry if my wings were clipped because God made all little birds to be beautiful, and to have wings to fly.

Enjoy your budgies, and if you only feed them seed and water and cuttlebone that is OK! Talk, talk, talk to them! Sing to them! Play soft music for them, and consider them to be your very best friends. And I can bet they will respond in a loving way to you, because they love you!!!

We welcome you to the forum anytime. We will look forward to hearing all about them and your journey with them!!! Big hugs((((((((((((hugs)))))))) to you!!
    Grandma Ellen
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-05-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Ellen, I love your post you made and it really touches my heart knowing how it is to be a only child. My daughter grew up as a only daughter but thankfully there were 3 kids living across the street who she made friends with. I honestly do not let many people into my life because I learned a long time ago sometimes people can be very cruel and hurt your feelings. I found a few I trusted but not many and those few are still in my life. I am so sorry Pinkiebudgie that you struggle and are sad and I hope your little birds can cheer you up. I sure know that Boomer cheered me up and kept me company many years when I was alone at my house running a online business. Boomer was my work mate and my best friend and sat on my shoulder for most of his life until my daughter came home from school. They were best friends and he loved her more then life. Many people get birds for companions even if it is just for watching them live inside a cage they are truly blessed souls who make you smile. I hope you clipping them calms them down so you can make friends with them. And I also truly hope you can find your happiness somehow because it is so sad to know you are living sad and lonely. I do hope the one losing its feathers is dropping feathers because he was handled and scared and it isnt him plucking them. Boomer never did this and he was clipped all his life so that he could be outside of his cage and not escape outside with all his "kid friends" who came over to play with my daughter. Make sure one of his wing feathers isnt flipped weird or has a rough edge on it because this could be irating him somehow but usually if that is the case they keep flipping their wing trying to get it right. Hugs and love to you!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thank you Deanna for a very special post! We are on our journey in this life, together as friends. Sometimes we find friends in unexpected places. That is the case for you and I when we connected here on the forum.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy we met here Ellen. Bird lovers are always kind hearted and caring and I am happy we became friends.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you both Deanna (Boomer girl) and Ellen (Maxollie) for your kind touching words. It's nice to hear positive feelings from others (all I ever get is negative feelings).... Living with drug resistant epilepsy isn't easy, you get so much discriminination (I've faced it so many times) and if you suffer a siezure near others theirs automatically terrified of you

Budgie update-- after I clipped the wings the budgies have gone quiet... I'm assuming there scared of me.. The hand tame budgie won't even come on my hand any more.... I must have lost there trust by clipping there wings? I didn't cut them too short I cut what was recommended. I also cut the same feathers on each side. But one budgie is just pulling out some feathers I'm thinking it just due to the clipping... As he didn't do it before.. I hope that it won't be a permanent behaviour. I thought maybe some of his clipped feathers where irritating him so I re did it (I made it neater, I didnt trim much off I was manly trimming sheaths) I hope that this is ok. Also I found this the other day and was wandering is it worth the try or has anyone tried it? https://www.scarlettsparrotessential...r-starter-pack It's supposed to be some form of vitamin supplement for birds that are not eating a variety diet and is supposed to help them try other foods... Unsure whether to try or not. The budgies have also gone quiet.... I hope they start chirping again.... If they can..

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Every time you try to clip them you are just frightening them more, and it is tramatizing them. It is setting them back, rather then bringing any trust from them to you. So, I strongly suggest to please !eave their wings alone now, and do not touch them or trim them ever again. Further, as I had written, the seed mix should have sufficient vitamins in the ingredients. I always say, it is best to not try different items, like you mentioned, if we have no other testimony from someone who has tried the product. That could just cause you more trouble. Stick with the seed mix you are using. Every time we change seed mixes, that will generate a molt of feathers of your budgies. Budgies are very sensitive to many things. Change in diet or seed mix, and even changing their location in the home can cause them to molt feathers.

For now, play music, talk to them, and if you have a TV in your room, play the Disney channel. It has voices of kids talking, and budgies love those sounds.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-07-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

@maxollie
    I mainly trimmed there wings just so that when they were out of the cage they wouldn't fly off and hurt themselves. I read online on another post that a user had just had there budgies 1 week and took them out to try get them used them used to him. They both flew about but one flew into a mirror/window and broke its neck . I'll put a link to the post when I find it. The seeds I feed aren't vitamin enriched I was advised to only feed tonic seed twice a week.... Would it be advised to just feed them tonic seed all the time ? As they barely eat any nutrients. I can get the same seed from the bird shop owner in a 'tonic' variety. I also let the budgies listen to classic fm they started molting after I clipped there feathers...

Remove Ads