Name
    Haimish
    Thanks

Need help making a cage cover

Hello there!!

I'm back with another question!

I have purchased this cage for my GCC
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, as you can see, it has a play top. I can't seem to find any cage covers that would work for this type of cage. So I thought I might just buy some material from the fabric store and use that.
    However, I was wondering what would be considered a safe fabric material to use to do this. My basic sewing skills will finally be put to use!!! And I think it'll be cheaper than buying a cage cover that's already made.

Thank you

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: Need help making a cage cover

FYI, I would use a light fabric, but something that is easily washable.

Warning about your cage: I HAD the same cage for my cockatiel. Please inspect the powder coating and make sure that ALL the metal is covered. If not, return it. There is zinc in the bars of the cage and if it is exposed to your bird, it can make your bird ill. I switched cages and my bird is back to normal. Stainless steel would be more ideal.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Since you live in a warmer client, if it were me, I would use a white percale sheet, or polyester white sheet. I would get a queen size, and then cut it in half. Use a sewing machine, make a seam on the raw side of each half, Walah! Now you have two covers. You can wash one periodically, and use the other. I would first wash the new sheet, in an organic clothes soap, with no bleach.

This will save time in making one. When it does get cooler, in the winter, you can still use the sheet, and then add a light weight throw, made of yarn. Both will keep birds warm at night.

I hope this info is of help to you.

And, Carolyn was kind to warn you about the cage. Birds can get very ill and die in such a cage. I too recommend a stainless steel cage.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-22-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Tikki who is a pineapple GCC has a cage similar to the one you bought and we inspected it and it is perfectly sealed all the way around it. We just put a dark green sheet over his cage in the nighttime but reading this it would look nicer if we made one like Ellen (Maxollie) just mentioned. Thats a great idea Ellen.

Tikki loves his cage and boy does he use every inch of that cage. I really did not know they were made of bars that had zinc on them so thankfully my daughter knew to inspect it when she bought Tikki who came in the cage for free from the person she bought him from. I highly recommend you inspect the bottom bars really good because if your GCC is anything like Tikki he is going to love playing on the bottom of that cage. We put sheets of paper down there to catch the poos and have to change them out daily because we do not want him playing in his own poo. We layer the sheets of paper so each day we just pull one out and its clean again.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

[QUOTE=boomer girl;864677
    Tikki loves his cage and boy does he use every inch of that cage. I really did not know they were made of bars that had zinc on them so thankfully my daughter knew to inspect it when she bought Tikki who came in the cage for free from the person she bought him from. I highly recommend you inspect the bottom bars really good because if your GCC is anything like Tikki he is going to love playing on the bottom of that cage. We put sheets of paper down there to catch the poos and have to change them out daily because we do not want him playing in his own poo. We layer the sheets of paper so each day we just pull one out and its clean again.[/QUOTE]

There are some exposed areas of metal towards the bottom where Tango would venture. I didn't see it, my vet did. I am not saying that the cage is bad or it's a bad design, it's a great cage. The powder coating process did not cover ALL the metals that is used as the main construction of the cage. As a precaution please keep this in mind: A very long story shortened: My little Tango had diarrhea for almost a year. Both me and my husband spent over $3000 dollars in vet bills trying figure to out what was going on with the bird. Tango was monitored closely, weighed daily, changed all his toys, diet, supplements, he does the pro-biotics such as Benebac gel, had test after test after test, etc. A little birdy told us to swap his cage out.. So a very nice person let us borrow a stainless steel cage. We put his rope perches in along with the wood ones, some of his old toys with a couple of new toys, kept his seed /pellet diet and "Bingo"!! his droppings have returned back to normal and it's been over a week. We are slowly weening him off his meds. We truly believe his health issues were a result of bare metal on the cage that we didn't' see.

I posted my comment as an FYI... I would really hate to see other people go through the ordeal that John and I did. I am so grateful that Tango is recovering beautifully and that we found the root cause to his problem. I dropped off a dropping at the vet yesterday and I am very happy to report that my vet found nothing wrong with his droppings. All tests came back negative.

Since the original poster linked the cage to the forum, I don't know whether or not if the original poster purchased the cage from Amazon. I was just warning that if it's not powder coated properly, I would hate to see the parront go through what we did. I'm just a little bummed because I have the same cage and I do love it, but it's no value to me or Tango if it's going to make him ill.
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 05-23-2019 at 06:33 AM.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh my gosh Carolyn, that is awful poor Tango was sick from the cage. It now makes me wonder if perhaps little Boomer might have been getting something from his cage. He was suspected of metal poisoning even though they really didnt find any in his blood work he was medicated with some very strong and stinky meds to detoxify his body. He did get better for awhile but never all the way. He died because of Avian Gastric Yeast years later and boy was little Boomer worth all the money we spent to keep him well and alive. Just like your Tango was to you. They are family and not just birds. Because of Boomers troubles Carissa really watches Tikki and has no problems taking him to the vets when something is wrong or even if she suspects it. Birds will find everything that is bad for them it seems and it takes us parronts to really inspect and watch them to keep them healthy and safe. Haimish, no doubt you find out quick with your new Green Cheek that they are very active birds who will be beaking and touching everything it can get into. They are truly great birds who will keep you active trying to keep up with them. Tikki loves bathes as well and will hop into anything that has water in it so keep a eye out for open glasses and other things with water.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thank you for your explanation and additional information, Carolyn. Personally, I feel that these days,we have to be very careful when purchasing items for our birds. I think it is unacceptable for petshops, or retailers to sell a cage, or any item in their store having the possibility of killing our birds. I would never use rope perches. I once had a tiel hen who was setting on eggs. She was single, and a chronic egg layer. She nested on the cage floor each time she laid a c!utch, because a nest box or nest, makes a hen want to lay even more eggs. She had a night fright one night, flew up off the nest and hit her head on the rope perch. She had a big bump on the top of her head. Thankfully she did survive. Upon inspecting this rope perch, I found that it was a piece of metal, wrapped with rope, and I mean hard metal. This is another example of a pet product that should not be sold to bird owners. I took the rope perch out of the cage, and never used any rope perch ever again.

Birds are very fragile, and can die, or be injured very easily. I am so thankful for you, Carolyn, that Tango did not die!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Deanna and Ellen,
    This past year has been quite a head scratcher for John and I. As to the rope perch, it's about 8" long and it's flexed at a 90 degree angle. Tango mainly sleeps on it. We clean his cage daily and there are no signs of wear he was chewing or loose threads on the rope perch. If there are any signs of wear, it immediately gets thrown away.

Poor Boomer! Metal poisoning is not a good thing and you are so right, these beloved fids are members of the family. I would have done the exact same thing for Boomer as you did. Some of the med's that Tango was on were so smelly it even made my stomach upset. There were times that John and I would look at each other and say, who's turn is it..

Haimish, Please inspect your cage to make sure that all area's are powder coated and to inspect your cage at each cleaning. Like Deanna said, they get their beaks into places that we would never imagine. I had my cage for over 7 years before I had to switch it out. Being diligent on cage inspections will lead to a happy and healthy bird.

We did not get off cheap, but we do know now what caused our bird to have loose droppings and diarrhea.

Tiels:

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Carolyn, I was just writing in general about rope perches and did not even think about Tango's toys when I wrote my post! I know you well, and absolutely, positively know you are an awesome birdy mom to Tango!!! It just is frustrating to try to keep our birds well and healthy, with the low quality of products we often buy for them.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Carolyn, I was just writing in general about rope perches and did not even think about Tango's toys when I wrote my post! I know you well, and absolutely, positively know you are an awesome birdy mom to Tango!!! It just is frustrating to try to keep our birds well and healthy, with the low quality of products we often buy for them.
    Ellen, I knew exactly what you meant. John picked up Tango this morning from the Parrot resort. We boarded him while we are at the lake this Memorial weekend. He came back Happy and his droppings are still remaining normal. It's been a week. Another week he will totally be off the meds. The vet did say that it would be okay to continue with the benebac maybe once a week. It will not hurt him at all.

Tiels:

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy that Tango did good while you were away. I always stressed when we had to leave boomer anywhere when we went away.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Came home from work yesterday and he was just making his kissy sounds. Overall, he came home a very happy bird. The place we brought him is called Parrtotzville in Clinton Twp MI. Not only do they board, they are a rescue that opened up nearby our home about 2 years ago. I now get Tango's supplies from them. Very good people and felt very comfortable leaving my little guy with them. They are also a surrender / rescue. They will not let a rescued / surrendered bird be adopted until the the owner of the store feels comfortable with you and that you are able to keep and make sure the parrot is loved. You have to visit the store, husbandry with the bird you want to adopt. The owner makes sure that there is a bond established. It could take up to six months of visiting the parrot before the parrot leaves the store. What I like is that they DO NOT charge for the bird if it's a surrender or rescue. My neighbor told me about the store about a year ago and they owner and her staff are just loving towards the birds. I don't think I will go anywhere else. Oh, and it's a 501(3)c. Any donations are tax deductible too!

Tiels:

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That sounds like a super rescue adoption center. They sure are looking out for any bird they may send home with an adoptee! In my view, that is the only way to treat rescues, before allowing them to go to a new home.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy you found a great place to drop off Tango. We have Mickaboo bird rescue near us and if was home more I would love to be a foster home for a few Mickaboo birds. They are well known around here and do everything to make sure the rescues all go to the best homes only.

Remove Ads