Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: European Gold Finch and Canary breeding

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

European Gold Finch and Canary breeding

Hello everyone,

I am very happy to have found this forum since 2018. last year i started breeding canaries and now i know that i have accomplished a lot. i have successful breeding this year too.

Now to go advance i would like to do cross breeding. specifically, to breed canary with european gold finch. I have seen some mules with friends and in the market and they are very attractive and unique.

So before i start getting the canary and the finch i would like to know if any of you have successfully cross breed a canary with a european gold finch?

Thanks

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: European Gold Finch and Canary breeding

Many people have done so, and specifically with this pairing. It is a topic that depending on who you are speaking with, you will get a mixed response. 50% will be with you, 50% will, lets just say they won't be kind in any way. The process of mixing two separate species is a purely human thing. Meaning only a human would do such a thing. In nature it would never occur, thus it is many peoples view that you are messing with nature, simply because as a human you can. Kind of playing god if you will. Many breeds have come from such work, but in this case, defined as a canary to a gold finch well it has been done many times and will continue to be done.

Now that I have said that, you must remember exactly what you said above, which is the word and truth of it being a MULE. A horse and a donkey get bred and thus you get a mule. A creature created and designed on purpose to work. Humans figured out that this mix created a breed of animal that had extreme endurance and strength to use on the farm. Since it was not a pure bred expensive horse, specifically a draft horse which was very expensive, a mule was cheap to buy. A mule is also sterile, cannot breed thus you are breeding something that goes no further than that one. Now if your intent is to see if you can do it, well that's up to you. Another wold of advice, remember in the canary world we do not recognize mules, thus there is no where to show them nor show that will allow it, nor a judge allowed to judge them. All on purpose because the practice is frond upon. You also will have a hard time selling them. So with that said, again its up to you, but please think of why you want to do it. Is because its pretty, or because you want to se if you can, or even a friend is doing it. You will be creating creatures who after you do, what do you do with them or what is your purpose. If again, at best you find them pretty, you will have a room full of pretty birds who cannot breed to feed, watch and care for, for years.

This is my very polite way, if you didn't gather my tone, of trying to make you truthfully think about what REAL canary people think about what your question encompasses. I'll never, ever tell anyone what to do or not to do, that is not my place. I stated what most people think or say, now my own personal feeling is, I am completely opposed to this in every way. As a top canary breeder and show exhibitor, my love of the canary is just that. I love canaries, and thus I want to breed only the very best I can achieve. To do anything but breed the best canary male to the best canary female to create the best canary possible is my primary and only goal. To mix breeds or species is the farthest from that goal one could go! My 2 cents

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have to say something about this too. I know some people cross breed different types of lovebirds and these poor birds are confused little birds. They build nests differently and they do other things differently and it causes the crossbred birds to have issues. They may pluck or have very nervous habits or even health problems. I am like Rudy and against cross breeding any animals or birds. It is not natural and the bird you create will have to live with mental or physical issues because you did it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I do understand what you saying. I hereby decide not to cross breed and focus on breeding amazing canary/European finch. I wanted to do cross breeding because a friend owned an awesome mule for 10 years and it had amazing songs and colors. But it also takes time and effort to succeed. I really respect what you guys said. Thanks and appreciated.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

No worries ever. I have friends who have done the same. Unlike our world today, especially politics, I can disagree with someone and still respect them and be friends. Me personally started years ago to just learn as much as I could, then get the best I could and breed the best I could. I then started showing birds and the whole thing changed on me. I thought I knew everything and came into my first show to find I knew only half of the game. The show world opened my eyes to how little I knew in respect to the birds themselves. Long story short, it took me 10 years to win my first best in breed and another 5 to win best in show. I have now done that with 8 breeds and multiple best in shows. This was all because I entered a show, and heard a judge tell me and everyone what was wrong with my birds, and what was right with others. What I thought I knew was only a small bit and show after show I learned more and more. I began joining in on conversations that most would never understand or sit through, but so vital in understanding such small differences that make big results. I first and foremost learned that years ago, sometimes hundreds of year ago, some people sat down and created a standard for the specific breed I was breeding and loved. This standard was created for a fictitious bird. Meaning no bird would ever exist that matched the standard. The standards were written this way on purpose, to show what the most ideal bird of a breed should be for all to work towards that goal. Everyone who shows knows this and accepts we are trying to get the closest we can to it. I breed type canary's, and we do use a scoring system, but don't post numbers as such, for this discussion and example the people who show colorbred canary's do. If during a show I see a number come up above 92, (92 out of 100) I will immediately go see what is going on. To have a bird score 92, 93, 94 is saying get you camera, and get a picture, because that is a bird you must admire. In my world, type canary's, I take pictures all the time to remind me of the goals I am trying to achieve. I even have completely black silhouette images of birds on my walls. Not because I like black ink blobs, but because it takes my eye out of looking at feathers or colors, and allows me to concentrate on the birds shape and posture. Lastly, again because of what I said originally. I personally and the friends I hang with are obsessed with breeding the most spectacular examples of what the breeds we breed can be. This takes only using the best to create the best. The reason the government doesn't care about canary's or people who have them, is because NO ONE is going into the wild and poaching birds from the wild to sell. Reason being is it would be stupid to do so. We have taken a bird and spent centuries creating what we have and what we are trying to perfect. Why would anyone want a wild canary, it would set them back 100 years. It is also why true canary people do not recognize mules or even hybrids. So much so all governing bodies of the hobby have written it in that any judge who judges them would be barred. Harsh I know, but it is to make a specific point.

Remove Ads