Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: help.....

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

help.....

Female canary lot her mate from a virus. She is laying on 5 eggs. She is not eating. What should I do??

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,229 Posts

Re: help.....

I am so sorry you lost your male canary. You have my sympathy. We do have one canary expert, Rudi, who stops by now and then. I hope he will see your post soon, and give you his thoughts about the situation. I suggest you talk to the female a lot, and play soft music for her even at night, if you think it is helping her. I have read here that giving the bird lots of attention, after a loss like this, does help. It really is good that she does have her eggs, because that will keep her busy in the nest and her mind off of his absence.

Encourage her to eat and drink. Also, when and if the eggs hatch, you may have to supplement feeding babies by hand, because I would think the male would have been helping feed the babies.

Also, if they were both in same cage, female needs a health checkup because the virus no doubt could pass to her.

We will watch for updates.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you maxollie. Unfortunately it is not my bird. I care for them and other birds as a job for this lady. She says just let nature take its course. 😥

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

OK. Well, you have to abide by her wishes. It is kind of you to take care of them.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Now she wants me to take out nest full of eggs. I wish I knew how to incubate them. 😞

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

In my view, if it were me, I would say in a kind and respectful way the following.

I am just the bird sitter. I do not own the birds. I will not take the nest or eggs a way from her. That is your responsibility.

This is a kind statement and a firm answer, and in confidence between us only. This poor hen lost her mate. Now owner wants to remove eggs and nest. This will be such an emotional hurt for this hen, she could very well die. And if you take them away, then, you are in the picture. You do not want any blame cast upon you. So, in my view, this is her decision and responsibility to remove them. And quite honestly, if it were me, I would not want to care for this bird or any of her birds anymore now, because you should not have to experience a bird dying, or finding it dead, after or before removing the eggs. And she really should be taking this hen to a Vet for wellness check, because the male died of a virus. Virus is very contagious, and can be passed to other birds. In my view, nature may take its course, but, we, as animal or pet owners should take them to a vet if they need a checkup or care. That is a selfish attitude in my view.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-10-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I had a very heart wrenching experience with a dog, that someone asked me to watch over and care for while they went on vacation. This happened many years ago. It was July, and a very hot summer. The dog lived outside. So, every day, I was to go there and feed the dog, water it, and check to be sure it was OK. This dog was an older dog, and had spent all its life outside, even in colder weather. I was told in the cold winter weather it lived in the garage.

One morning, I went there to care for the dog, and it was dead. I was very sad and shocked.

This taught me a life lesson. And that is....never be responsible for other people's pets, nor take a job caring for them. If they get sick, or are sick, or die, then you have to deal with that situation, and remember it for the rest of your life. A pet is an owners responsibility....100%.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-10-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Remove Ads