where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My budgie suddenly died

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alice
    Thanks

My budgie suddenly died

So I bought four budgies about a week ago and haven't bothered or scared them for an entire week except for switching out their food and water. One of my birds, Kiwi, was very active and energetic. Today, he suddenly just dropped dead. I observe them daily and he has not shown any signs of illness and was very active the day before. He is only two or three months old and hasn't even molted yet. He just suddenly became very drowsy and dropped dead. Can someone please explain why?
    Last edited by axolotto; 04-09-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: My budgie suddenly died

What seeds or pellets are you feeding, or other foods? I am so sorry your budgie has died!

Do you use Teflon pans to cook with? Do you use smoking materials, such as e cigs, any tobacco products, essential oils, or diffusers, household chemicals for cleaning, or air freshners?

Did you get them from a pet store? Did they give you a 30 day guarantee? Since they are all in the same cage, if the one that died was contagious with a bacterial or other infection, they could also die. I suggest calling the person or pet shop where you got them immediately. Being only a week, the seller should take all of them back and replace them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-10-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

You need to thoroughly clean the cage before introducing new birds to cage. And if you keep the other three then you need to completely clean the inside of cage. Do you have another cage you can put them in while you clean it?

Use a mix of apple cider vinegar and warm water, and clean cage inside and out, and take perches out and wash, and wipe down all toys, swings and mirrors.

The three remaining budgies could get sick, so watch carefully for being all puffed up, watery poops, not eating or drinking, setting on cage floor rather than perching.

Make the call to seller ASAP!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alice
    Thanks

I do not smoke or use Teflon pans because I have children in the house. I do not use any air fresheners and all the aroma diffusers are always a floor above them. I feed them 'Extreme Gourmet Parakeet Food' and so far nothing else.
    I bought the budgies on Kijiji and the others are all very healthy. I think the seller does not have more budgies since when I went to buy them, she said that its because her children got bored of them. I have cleaned the cage throughly.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry this happened to your bird and Ellen asked all the questions I would of asked. It could have had a fright in its cage and hit his head or maybe there was just something wrong with it and it just died. I hope your kids accepted its death without many tears.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads