Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Feather Plucking

Thanks

Feather Plucking

Hello everyone!
    Its been awhile since I have been here, and I guess I have never posted about this issue here before.
    In April 2018, my boy Archie started plucking..... he is only plucking PIN feathers..... early that summer we took him to the vet twice over this issue..... the vet did a poop test, some tape test.. gave us some medication (cant remember what it was now).... nothing helped.... but Archie seems healthy and happy.... its been a year now.... still plucking and its worse.... hes quite bald on his legs, belly, under wings, and back..... actually he started plucking flight feathers recently it seems..... I ordered some soft collar thing and hes been wearing it for a week and a half.. its definitely helping but he can still reach his back....

My boys really dont have too many toys in their cage... I just dont feel its a big enough cage for them and toys.... I dont even really know what toys to buy!!!!

But, I am super excited to say I made the leap, and ordered a new cage last night!!!! I was looking back and forth at different cages... I knew I wanted a Prevue Pet Products (Prevue Hendryx??) cage.... but which size, I had no idea... not to mention they are stupid expensive......

I was looking at the Prevue Pet 3154 cage, but on Amazon it was around $700, depending on the colour..... ALL OF A SUDDEN, this same cage in CHOCOLATE popped up for $438!!!!! .. I hated the colour, and was thinking about a dome cage... but in the end, I had to buy it.... $438!!!! It should be here tomorrow!!! As soon as I bought it (last one), the price jumped to $717!!! I dont get it.... better not be damaged!

I am really hoping that more space, and more toys really helps Archie kick this plucking problem!!!! Can anyone recommend good cockatiel toys???

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Feather Plucking

Feather plucking is a hard one to stop but just maybe the new big cage might just shock him enough to stop plucking. Our vet does medicated bathes and they sure did help Boomer out once when he got sick and plucked his chest feathers out all the sudden and they helped out Tikki my daughters bird from barbering his feathers as well. Misting with water is good for them and so is feeding them a pea sized piece of Organic red palm oil a day. Our birds lick the palm oil off our fingers but some prefer it mixed with a little bit of there seeds. It helps there skin not be dry and is really good for them according to our avian vet.

Yikes about the cage price, even the damaged one is high priced but they do last forever and I really do hope you boy has so much fun in it he stops plucking. I am sure you tried shredding toys already but honestly they just gives them something to rip up for awhile and they go right back to plucking.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Mishaal
    Thanks

I used to give my birds some leather strips kind of toys. Try out some preening toys, stuff that has leather, rope, palm leaves and even their own molted feathers works. Alternatively you can get a feather plucking spray that I've heard of but I don't know about the reliability on that stuff so I would push you to do your own research on the spray before you attempt to buy one. Try foraging activities with your birds and after a shower, try misting him with some aloe vera spray, my cockatiels and budgies love those and it would soothe their skins and stopped my bird from plucking. Hopefully it'll work out for you too! Keep us updated!
    Last edited by Nighthawk0123; 04-26-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We use a aloe vera spray on our conure here too and his skin looks great. He also gets a dab of the red palm oil everyday that he licks off our fingers to keep his skin good from the inside.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads