where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgies breeding

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Gina Bacarella
    Thanks

Budgies breeding

So, I thought I had two males together in a cage and was very surprised when I caught them breeding. I noticed the once bluish cere was now turning brown. I'm worried because I was not prepared for this, as I thought I had 2 females in one cage and 2 males in the other. What do I do? Do I buy/make a nesting box for the female? If she's going to have eggs, I don't want to throw them out. I'd rather just let them have the clutch and separate them after.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Budgies breeding

I would leave them in the same cage as they are for now. It takes a few days for the first egg to hatch. Then an egg is laid every other day. If hen does lay the first egg, go to petshop and get a small wooden nest box, made especially for budgies. Put it inside the cage, and put the egg in the nest box. With budgies, you will find that the male will spend most of his time, if not all of his time outside of the box until the eggs hatch. Once the first egg hatches, he will jump into the box to feed the female by regurgitating his seed to her, and then she will feed the babies. He also may help feed them. The hen will not get real skerious about being in the box all of the time, setting on her eggs, until she has laid a few eggs, and once all are laid, she will spend the majority of her time in the box, only coming out to eat, drink and poop. You will notice the inside bottom of the box has an indented circle. The hen will take her beak and get shavings of wood from that little circle and use them for nesting material. So, I suggest you do not put any other nesting material in the box.

We will watch for updates. Good luck on the journey into breeding and new baby birds.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-13-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Gina Bacarella
    Thanks

Thank you for the advice! I already know where she's going to lay if she does. She really likes this bright green food dish I got for her. haha. Will keep you updated if we have chicks!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

You really need the wooden box to have any success with the eggs hatching. A box has specific purpose. It keeps the eggs safe, with the proper humidity, and also gives the hen plenty of room to nest, because a small dish, after the babies hatch will be a disaster. The babies will have no room, they may fall out of the dish, there will be so much poop they will get bacteria infection, and the hen could abandon them. Also, do not use happy tents or happy huts for the nest. They will not work either. I suggest you get the box and use it. You will have a much happier result for the birds and for you.

Remove Ads