Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgies with possible dogs

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Budgies with possible dogs

Me and my dad have been discussing, and we've decided that we'd like a dog. We still need to convince my mum, but that's not why I'm here.

I already have 2 budgies. I'm wondering if this will cause any issues. I've thought it through, and I came to the conclusion that, as long as the dog is supervised, kept separate (when we leave the house), and trained to ignore the birds, then the budgies would be okay, however I would still like people's input on this.

Again, it's not set in stone, but any advice is interested. Oh, also the breed of dog wouldn't be something that would hunt birds.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Budgies with possible dogs

I would suggest always caging the budgies when the dog is in their room. Even though we can try to train dogs, they still are animals and may, unexpectedly chase, or harm the birds, or tip over their cage. When your budgies fly out of cage, keep the dog in another room. And I also recommend to never leave budgies or other birds out of their cage when you are not home,, or when they are out flying when you are home, unsupervised. They could get electrocuted from electric wires, ceiling fans, or chewing on electric wires. Or, fall behind appliances. Or, ingest something that kills them. Or, fly into windows, doors or wall mirrors. They are inquisitive and fast as lightning.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-13-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for your concern. My thoughts are that, yes they would definitely be kept separate whilst we would be out, but as long as somebody can supervise the dog where the budgies are, he should be okay as the budgies fly high and out of reach, as well as the cage being b lockable from the dog. I understand possible problems, though I'm sure I can work something out.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I had two very well trained Rottweilers when Boomer was still alive and all three of them were happy and no accidents ever happened. Trust me these dogs knew better to ever even touch Boomer and if by chance Boomer flew towards them they would shake in fear because they knew not to be by him. We usually didn't have the dogs in the house when Boomer was out but my daughter who was very young would leave the dog room door open now and then and that was when Boomer flew through the open door and land by the dogs and happy cheep at them. If you really trust the dog and your dog is good at listening it will be OK but you still need to be careful. Birds have a way to always do the things they know they are not suppose to do. They are mischievous little brats like a two year old child is, always trying to do all the things they are not allowed to do.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads