Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Green poop hanging off budgie's rear end

Brand New Egg
    Name
    iana
    Thanks

Green poop hanging off budgie's rear end

Hi guys,

My 7-year-old budgie has been unwell since the beginning of the year. He's been having episodes where semi-runny, green poop is hanging from his rear (as in the photos below), and he even vomitted a couple of days ago. He seems fine now (eating, drinking, pooping and chirping as usual), but there is that greenish thing still hanging off of him:

We gave him antibiotics earlier this year and sprayed him against ticks, mites, etc as directed, but he gets better for a while, then becomes sick again. Can anyone please help?
    Thank you!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Re: Green poop hanging off budgie's rear end

Did you take him to an avian vet, or vet, the first time. You know, budgies usually live from 7-10 years. Some do live longer. My thought is that it could very well be his age. From what I have researched about my own 7 year old budgie, who has had some similar problems the last few months, at that age, they often get tumors in various parts of the body, especially in esophagus, stomach, and intestine area, as well as the reproductive area. My Muffin also has had poop issues for several months, and has been blind for a year.

It would be your decision as to whether to have him examined by a vet now, or to just keep him comfortable. Until you had a vet diagnosis, you would not know exactly what may be the problem. Having him checked would give you some options.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    iana
    Thanks

Re: Green poop hanging off budgie's rear end

Thank you so much for your reply.
    I didn't take him to the vet this year; several vets saw him in 2016, the last time he had similar problems. Each vet had a different diagnosis and recommended different treatments after only looking at him. We had his poop checked for both parasites and bacteria a couple of times throughout the year, but the tests were negative each time - his poop was ok, although even back then it sometimes clingged off his backend like it does now.

So this year, I just gave my budgie the same treatment that worked in 2016, but this time the symptoms only clear for a short while, then come back again. I am worried especially because these episodes are a lot more frequent than in 2016, and I wouldn't want to overmedicate him.

As for an avian vet, unfortunately there is none in my city and none that I know of in my country. I visited expert vets in other cities before with my other pets when it was needed, but I don't think my budgie would be up for it anyway.

Remove Ads