Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie breathing remedies

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Budgie breathing remedies

Basically, I'm pretty sure one of my budgies has breathing issues. His tail kinda bobs slightly, he runs out of breath after flying too long, and during "long" flights he starts to descend during flight and will simply try and land anywhere. Before anybody says anything, the vet IS NOT an option. I'm a 15 year old boy with parents who think I overreact over my budgies due to worries when I first got them. (they don't believe me that air sprays and things are bad for them, they just make fun of it).

Essentially, I'm asking if there are any possible home-ish remedies I can do for him. Any help is thanked, just please don't say "take them to the vet" because I know that would be best but I can't. Thank you.

Name
    Gill
    Thanks

Re: Budgie breathing remedies

Oh, that's such a shame that your family don't accept that sprays are bad for your budgies. In fact to be honest I think too many household sprays and cleaning products are bad for us too. I'm sorry I can't be of any help but would it be possible to keep your budgies cage in your own room and ban any pollutants from your room? It is after all your room so you should be able to do that? Hopefully someone else will be able to offer some advice on how to know if your budgie is unwell. I've stopped using my scented candles since we got our budgies. I use them in other rooms now, well out of the way of the birds.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for your concern, but I don't think I was clear enough. My family don't believe me about sprays, but there aren't any in the room with them whilst they're there, mainly because of me, but we do have a fireplace that needs the soot cleaning out daily. Sorry for being unclear.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy you parents are not using sprays around them anymore, they are just horrible for birds. So many things will hurt them. If you cannot take your bird to the vets there is really no way of helping him but you can try making a saline solution to spray on his nares or even just misting his face with water is better then anything. I have a friend whos cockatiel has dry sinuses in the summers and her vet had her get a saline solution and she mists them with it in the mornings. It helps lots. I dont know the mixture but if you google it on line you might be able to find the exact ratio to use. DO NOT use saline mists for people on a bird, it has other things in it. You might even be able to call a vet to see if they can give you a idea of salt and distilled water ratio to use. I would honestly think even just a water mist would help out you little bird if you cannot find what mixture of salt to use.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Persona!ly, I would nor use saline of any kind on my birds. Recently, a friend of mine had a cocktiel that died from saline solution given to her by a vet. Further, I would not use salt solution of any kind on my birds either. Getting salt water in their eyes could blind them.

Were your budgie's wings clipped when you got him? If so, have the wing flights grown back completely. In order to free fly, without stress, the wings have to be full and not cut or trimmed. Since you have to abide by your parents disciplinary rules, I suggest to try to keep the bird in your room and cover the cage in the daytime, three sides, with front side open, and all four sides covered at night. This will at least give him some protection from the environment in your home. If his poops are loose, he sleeps a lot, does not eat or drink, sets on the cage floor, cannot perch, and or is all fluffed up and listless, more than likely he is sick. He would need a vet visit, in my view, if this happens.

This is my own opinion on your post. I fully respect other posters remarks. Forums are about different ideas and thoughts. We will welcome your updates anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-26-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks, I actually already have a spray bottle, and both my budgies ceres are kinda dry, so this should help all around.

Remove Ads