Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Treating scaly face mites? Best way?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Exclamation Treating scaly face mites? Best way?

Hi again!

Apologies I keep posting every few days but I do find this forum very helpful! I think I've ruled out the budgies having a respiratory infection and I now think they have scaly face mites? I think one of them when I got them may have come with them... And originally the breeder told me they were treated for mites which is why I didn't treat them sooner.... I'm assuming it's scaly face as I don't think a respiratory infection would spread (and I've already tried treating them for it). I've also noticed ernies beak gotten crusty-ish. Bertha's the budgie which I got after returning the bully budgie, had a very dark brown cere and she sneezes a lot but I thought she just had allergies? But now that earnie is doing sneezing and his cere is changing there's obviously something else going on. I've gotten some ivermectin drops and I will apply these to the birds for the 3 weeks (or longer just to make sure) I'm also cleaning the cage everyday (well I normally do that).
    Can I ask do scaly face mites like in the environment or not (there seems to be a lot of opions on the Internet) and is it true that all Budgies have these mites? And that they only come out when there's lowered immunity? I'm assuming there's no chance of me getting them as I would have seen signs of them by now.. Do these mites act slow as the only pictures on google I can see are worse case scenario of scaly face.... I'm unsure what it looks like at the beginning... I don't see any scale on the birds feet so I assume this is good. Sry I'm rambling again! The main reason I started this post is for tips on treated the scaly face mite and how to get rid of it as there isn't any avian vets near me to ask about this. I'm only guessing it's the scaly face mite but from process of elimination of respiratory problems I think it is it. I appreciate any advice and help from members who have treated this mite and what's the best way to go with it (as I'm a beginner to the bird parasites!) thank you in advance

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 1,222 Posts

Re: Treating scaly face mites? Best way?

Rarely, do budgies get mites! Again, in my view, be careful of self treatment remedies.

As to the brown crusty ceres, in my view, that signals hormone uptake in females, who are over 8-9 months old. If this is the case with them, they could lay eggs. Females do not need to have a male partner to begin laying eggs.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie

So brown crusty Ceres are normal for females? Ok. But what concerns me is the amount of sneezing these budgies are doing ! I'm just hoping to rule out the chances of it being the mite as I'm not to sure if it is or isn't. Is there anything else that would make the budgies sneeze so much? As I no whatever it is spreadable as Bertha (original sneezing budgie) has spread it to ernie (only started sneezing after Bertha came). I know somethings up I'm just trying to figure it out .. It's difficult without a avian vet near by.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 1,222 Posts

You could Google search....avian vets on line. Perhaps one of them would answer your question. I have never experienced budgies sneezing, so I have no answer for your question. I am sorry I cannot help you further.

Remove Ads