where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Advice Needed - Velcro Budgie

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kendra
    Thanks

Advice Needed - Velcro Budgie

Hi, Iím new to this forum and to bird keeping. I got a cute hand fed budgie two weeks ago. It was weaned when I brought it home at about 10 weeks old. Itís too young to know the sex yet. The bird, Kiko, has already bonded with me and I give it lots of attention and out of cage time. It steps up on to my finger and rides around on my shoulder already and is really sweet. It has a nice large cage with toys, a swing and things to climb on, also a cool tree play structure outside the cage and toys. The thing is the Kiko is extremely needy. It has never become territorial about the cage or ever gone back inside it on its own. Not once. doesnít really play with toys much and when in its cage paces A LOT! Itís constantly wanting out and can be very intense about it. Now as much as I love having Kiko out, I have things I need to do that the bird cannot be a part of. I do not want to get another bird as a friend for Kiko at this time as I absolutely do not want breeding budgies down the road. So my question is how do I foster independence in Kiko? I am artist who paints in a home studio and am home all day most days so Kiko is not left alone for extended periods of time. This evening I had to cover the cage to settle the manic pacing down. Anyone have some advice? Thanks!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Advice Needed - Velcro Budgie

Hi, and welcome! You are absolutely correct to have some plan to ignore his behavior. That is never easy, but it has to be done, in order for the two of you to be happy together. It could be that the breeder began holding him at a few days of age, and he got used to being held, and therefore has to have human touch all of the time. It is kind and loving for caregivers or breeders to hold them, especially in the first few weeks of life, but it often causes separtion anxiety for the bird.

Here is my suggestion: Birds like to have a routine schedule every day. Getting them up for the day. Cleaning cage and feeding them. Then, have some out of cage time for an hour or so. Then back to cage for treats, or lunch. Perhaps another hour or so out of cage later in the day. This is just my example. It is very important to keep to the schedule. In my view birds should not be allowed to be flying free for hours. That just makes it more difficult to keep them happy in a cage. Also, ignoring him, does need to be enforced on occasion. Try covering him for awhile. Play some music on a CD p!ayer or radio. If he does noir have one, get him a swing, and a mirror. Budgies love both. They love their mirror girlfriends. And, cover the cage, when you see the behavior beginning. Budgies are very intelligent. He will !earn. Time is on your side.

It is important early on that we are the boss. They can be re!entless, in wanting their own way. I compare them to two year old kids! Lolol. When you can establish a daily routine,and stick to it, that will make both of you happy campers! Do not give in! With time and patience you will succeed.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-29-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Ellen gave you the perfect answer. I had a clingy people bird for 13 years (Boomer) who loved hanging out with his "people" all the time and if we put him in his cage he did the same thing your Kiko does. He frantically paced back and forth and cheeped like crazy. It is hard to ignore them but sometimes you just have to do it. At times we would put Boomers cage into a differant room and put him in it for a time out just to have a little peace and quiet away from him and he would calm down after awhile a take a nap. It did help calm him but it took him awhile to finally fall asleep.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kendra
    Thanks

Thank you very much for responding. I just read your advice and yesterday that’s what I was doing. It was difficult ignoring Kiko and I had to cover the cage a couple of times. After Kiko had settled down for a little while, I uncovered the cage and then after about 30 minutes I did take Kiko go out again. The little bird decided to teach me who is dominant and bit me a couple of times on the face while sitting on my shoulder. Not checking me out either, just enough to try and let me know who’s boss. Not cool! I firmly let Kiko know this is not OK behavior and did not let Kiko sit on my shoulder the rest of the evening. Kiko settled down and was a sweetheart after that. Actually started checking out the swing and playing a bit with things. Now Kiko was outside the cage on a play structure then. When I put Kiko to bed it was all good. No pacing etc... This morning Kiko is a little stand offish although not as demanding. It took awhile for a Kiko to come out of the cage this morning as well. We are not yet at the three week mark so just figuring things out together. I appreciate your advice! I don’t want and can’t have Kiko having free rein of the house all day. So am going to implement a schedule with some small variations so that if I actually have to deviate Kiko doesn’t feel confused and like I’m angry. I am avoiding a mirror. The first few days I had Kiko there was a stainless steel cup in the cage which I had to remove due to crazy behavior at seeing her/his reflection in it. Yes it’s like having a toddler all over again. I agree with you that I need to be consistent and maintain my position as top bird. I have already experienced how relentless Kiko can be. An intelligent and big personality in such a small, delicate body. Avian adventures have begun. Hopefully cage adventure will be more pleasant today.
    Last edited by Heron; 04-30-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Yaaaay!!! It is working budgies are very, very intelligent. They can learn to obey us. It does take time and patience. He really did great yesterday. They always test and try us!!! But, if we stick to our discipline they will learn to understand and obey us.

I removed the paragraphs about cockatiels. I apologize.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-04-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kendra
    Thanks

Re: Advice Needed - Velcro Budgie has become manic pacing budgie

Hi again. Still trying to figure this out. Ellen, Kiko is a Budgie not a Cockatiel. Well the little bird is right back to pacing again, I had a day where Kiko was better but it's back to the same behaviour. It is frustrating for me to hear the pacing I feel like the budgie is just miserable or manic or both. I am at a loss as to what to do other than what I am, which is basically ignore, cover, and do outside cage time for a couple of hours then inside cage for a couple of hours. Kiko has been getting 3 - 2 hour out of cage sessions daily. Kiko is very nippy now when I try to take it off of it's play structures, my shoulder, the couch. I am now reluctant to have Kiko on my shoulder, because I can't have a biting bird on my shoulder. That's not a habit I want to foster, to bite me when I take it off my shoulder. I may have to curtail all shoulder time for awhile. Trying to get Kiko back in the cage can be a challenge, thank goodness Kiko is clipped. Kiko doesn't seem to regard the cage as a cool, safe place at all no matter how I try to foster that. Even millet and favorite greens don't do it. I am wondering if I have given Kiko too much time out of the cage this past 3 weeks.... honestly I don't know this is my first budgie. Has anyone else dealt with this type of behaviour ? I've only had Kiko for three weeks as of today.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer hated to be in his cage and he acted like Kiki when he was in his cage. It got bad at times and we put his cage in a bedroom sometimes so we could have some time without him right by us cheeping and pacing in his cage. I think they just want to be with us and cheep and pace when they can't be. Boomer was mostly out with us so if he wasn't he vocally protested being in his cage.

After awhile we learned to ignore him. Kiki will be OK left cheeping. Play music for Kiki when he is in his cage and if possible put it where he can see outside. We fed wild birds in our yard where Boomer could see and he oddly enough would sit and eat his food when he watched the wild birds eating. Flock behavior? Who knows...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Both Ellen and Deanna has given you great advice. I suggest putting the cover on the cage for about 10 - 15 minutes and leave the room. When the biting starts, speak in a firm tone and tell him "NO". If the he continues to bite, put him back in his cage and partially cover him.. It's basically a birdie time out. Eventually they will learn. It sounds to me that your budgie has a bad case of "separation anxiety".
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Remove Ads