Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cockatiel seeking attention by sitting in the bottom of the cage

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rito
    Thanks

Cockatiel seeking attention by sitting in the bottom of the cage

Hello!

I've just recently got my cockatiel (3 days ago to be exact) that is 1 month old. He is hand tamed and hand fed. Everyday I take him out of the cage to play and walk around. He is out I'd say 2-3 hours but I'm planning on getting a T stand so he can sit near me and so i can extend the time he gets to be outside. He absolutely hates to be in his cage. If he's at least in his cage for 5 minutes (if not right away), he will drop down onto the bottom just so I can open the cage for him to climb out. He runs around the bottom cage making all kinds of noises. He can climb on the bars himself to get on a perch but he will not do it unless i open the cage yet afterwards he just gets out on his own.

I have no idea what I could do to prevent this. I sure am taking him out every single day. I play with him, let him sit on my shoulder etc., though he just can't get enough. I am not sure if this would be a good idea but i thought about just completely ignoring him when he jumps down and runs around. Maybe that way he would stop? Maybe I should place his cage next to me when I'm at my desk?

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: Cockatiel seeking attention by sitting in the bottom of the cage

I think this problem is most probably due to him being handfed. Handfed birds get used to human touch, and want that touch all of the time. They can be relentlus in making all kinds of noise, and other needy behaviors. Since he is so young, I think if you start some disciplinary action with him, he will learn you can not be with him, hold him, or let him fly free all of the time. It will not be an easy task. Ignoring him, in my view, is the best approach, but he will resist it for awhile until he learns you will not back down. It is best for both of you.

Cockatiels like to have a regular daily schedule. So I suggest you make a plan for his day that will be relatively the same from day to day. First off, it is very important that he gets cleaned up, and ready for the day. Then, feed him. Then, put him back in the cage. He most likely will resist it, but ignore him, and you also could cover the cage with a light weight sheet for awhile. That might calm him down. Then, decide the rest of his day. Perhaps out flying free for an hour or so. Personally, I would not allow him out for hours. That just makes it more difficult to discipline him. As to setting the cage by your desk, you could try it. But again, if you do, be prepared for him to make a fuss if you move his cage back.

I think the sooner you get a daily plan and stick to it the better. He is very young, which is a plus. Determination, time, and patience will win for you. And then both of you will be happy campers with the discipline you decide to use.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-29-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rito
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel seeking attention by sitting in the bottom of the cage

Thank You for the reply!

I will take all of Your suggestions into consideration I wonder, if I do all those things will it affect the birds will to be with me a lot? I want to have a companion bird that wants to be near me. I do not want him to run at the bottom of the cage making me feel bad for not taking him out though lol

Remove Ads