where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Canary feather loss and breeding questions

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Khalil
    Thanks

Canary feather loss and breeding questions

Hello guys, I've checked all around for some satisfying answers and couldn't find any.
    I have recently bought a female canary for breeding she has a 2017 ring. She didn't show any sing of interest in breeding. I've tried both my male canaries because It turned out the one I've intended for her was not fully ready for breeding. Now I've separated her because she started losing some feathers with a clear patch lost around her eye. She is very active and didn't show any sing of sickness what should I do, and how I can care for her, and is there any chance she might deliver some eggs or is it too late.
    P.S: I can attach a picture if needed, and thanks in advance

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Canary feather loss and breeding questions

* Since she is new to you, thus new environment for her, she may still need time to settle in. 2017 well she certainly is old enough to breed, but doesn't men she is in condition herself. Hard to tell when we are not the ones who one providing care up until breeding time.

** She may also not be interested in the males, but since there is no other males around for her to hear, that is unlikely. (Some hens will hear a male in their close proximity and no matter what male you give her, she just won't take him, because she wants the one she hears, not the one you gave her. Again this one probably not the case, but mentioned it because it happens a lot).

*** The eye situation could be to many things to say. She could have a foreign object in it from rubbing a perch, could be a cold, could have scratched it, or even mites. It is not uncommon for them to get small colds from the stress of moving and new environments, or even the environment itself, meaning draft from a vent which is new to them. All guesses but one or more of the guesses could be true. Grab her in hand, examine her eye for any scratches or foreign objects, if none visible, try getting a broad spectrum antibiotic designed for respiratory types, or even just really hit her with good greens and vitamins. Believe it or not even crushing up a vit. c tablet and adding it to her water can help. (only a small bit) A good disinfectant is Listerine or Apple Cider Vinegar. 1 tsp of Listerine and water in her bath, works as a good disinfectant. 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar to water in her bath also works as a disinfectant but also will treat mites/lice and any skin problems. Also doubles if they drink it, since both are safe to drink and will assist internally.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Khalil
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the answer, I still haven't figured out the eye problem. but overall the feather loss has stopped and it's doing much better now. The patch is not getting worse thank god, but it's still there. her eye is completely ok. I'm providing my birds with daily baths and daily cleaning of cages and no sing of mites. I also put multi-vitamins once per week in addition to greens and boiled eggs. I didn't know about the apple cider vinegar that's a new information and I appreciate it a lot thanks. I'll give her more time to get used to the new environment and probably she would get better I hope.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

I tell everyone this, be careful with the boiled egg. Where as it is great for them during breeding to feed young, and then much lighter being fed to assist in the molt, do not feed to much any other time. Some birds have trouble assimilating the protein. In very small amounts its ok, if fed to much it can do harm. Go on line and read about protein toxicity. Again best thing to feed to adults feeding young, and a small amount during the molt, any other time of the year try and feed protein from vegetable sources instead of animal.

Remove Ads