where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My White Face Cockatiel (male or Female) Need Help

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Javas
    Thanks

My White Face Cockatiel (male or Female) Need Help

I brought a new white face cockatiel. Its my first bird. So need help to confirm its gender.

https://imgur.com/qoU9mRk

https://imgur.com/npNKN3N

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Re: My White Face Cockatiel (male or Female) Need Help

Hi, and welcome! Awww! What a beauty! How old is this cockatiel? Here is my opinion. I consider it to be cinnamon pearl white faced pied bird. The word pied means several different colored feathers. With this mutation, the pearls on the wings signal a female, if the bird is a year old and has had its first hard molt. At that time, if a female, she will keep those pearls after the hard molt. If it is a male, it will lose those Pearl feathers and be cinnamon with the white face. The bars on the tail, to me also indicate a girl. Do the underwings have lace looking feathers? That too would in my view, indicate a girl.

This mutation is my favorite of all! We welcome your posts and updates anytime! Congrats on bringing home your new baby!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Javas
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome! Awww! What a beauty! How old is this cockatiel? Here is my opinion. I consider it to be cinnamon pearl white faced pied bird. The word pied means several different colored feathers. With this mutation, the pearls on the wings signal a female, if the bird is a year old and has had its first hard molt. At that time, if a female, she will keep those pearls after the hard molt. If it is a male, it will lose those Pearl feathers and be cinnamon with the white face. The bars on the tail, to me also indicate a girl. Do the underwings have lace looking feathers? That too would in my view, indicate a girl.

This mutation is my favorite of all! We welcome your posts and updates anytime! Congrats on bringing home your new baby!
    Hi, appreciate your valuable response!!! I too had the feeling that its a female. but the shopkeeper told me ita a male..since its only 7 months old... I was also confused...

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Wait for that first molt to happen at about a year. From now to then she or he may molt some feathers, but the hard molt I spoke of is usually a lot of feathers. And then, if she keeps those beautuful pearls you have a girl.

Also, males begin whistling, talking, mimicing sounds, etc., at about 4-6 months. Females usually do not do any of these. They do sing and chirp though. They are very loving little birds. Males are more active and can at times get rather loud. I currently have a year old male. He learned to whistle the Mickey Mouse song at about 6 months, and now he whistles like a cardinal, says night night when I put him to bed at night, and yes, he can get very loud at times!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hello Javas, you have a very beautiful cockatiel. I have a white faced pied to. Ellen gave you sound advice. But with pieds, gender is tricky. The only sure way of knowing the gender of your cockatiel is through a DNA/blood test.

Does the new addition to the family have a name?
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Remove Ads