Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Advice: bought 2 lovebirds because they were pretty but now....

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristi
    Thanks

Advice: bought 2 lovebirds because they were pretty but now....

I want them to have babies and after 3 years with nesting box etc no eggs so Id like to add another pair or one and have babies. Which way do I do it? Thank you in advance for your help. Oh, they are happy and in perfect health!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,232 Posts

Re: Advice: bought 2 lovebirds because they were pretty but now....

If you can find an adult pair, I think that would be the best approach. If you add only only, then your current two will compete for its affection, and they can get aggressive with each other. And the new one could also reject both for breeding. I would house the new pair in their own cage.

You also could look for a breeder, or a rescue in your area, and get the babies. Then keep them in their own cage. If it were me, this would be what I would do. Breeding is no easy task. Many things can go wrong in the process. I think bypassing the breeding would be ideal.

If you would live close enough to a rescue called Mickaboo (Google that as a bird rescue),that would be a great place to get them. Mickaboo is awesome! They are located in northern CA. They also have adult birds.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristi
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your reply! I want them to have one “hatch? And keep the babies. That’s all I just want to experience it and I will care for them. We are way down by San Diego or I would definitely go to the rescue. I just want to make sure next pair are male and female.
    really no way they can all live in same huge cage? Or if I built a small aviary?
    Thank you in advance ��������

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,232 Posts

I think it is a good idea to house the pair you are wanting to breed in a separate cage until the eggs have hatched and the new babies have fledged, can perch, and eat and drink, and be like the other lovebirds Then, you could put them all in a bigger cage together, but you want to be sure the siblings...those eggs that hatched together......never mate, nor have babies, because they can be special needs birds due to being brothers and sisters. I would say by about 4-5 months of age you would need to separate them if you have both sexes. You could do a DNA test on the babies, when they are newly hatched, perhaps at about 12 weeks of age. If you have all males, then you would not have to separate them. Same goes for all females. But if you have both sexes, then you would have to take out either the males or the females and put them in a different cage.

Check your on line newspapers, and also check for rescues and bird adoption agencies in your area. You no doubt could find a pair at either place. In your beautiful state of CA, there are many rescues and adoption aviaries, because you have soooo many beautiful birds.

You sure could build a small aviary. Perhaps you could design it as different "rooms", so, if they have to live apart, they all would be close to each other anyway. Except for the outcome of the sex of the babies, after the eggs hatch, they all could be in one big cage, but it is possible your current pair may not like that arrangement. Birds are set in their ways and habits. Some would not mind. Others might. You would just need to try it with all together and see how they react to each other.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-07-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Mickaboo does have lots of lovebids that need forever homes but sadly it is located way up in the San Francisco Bay area. I think there is a few bird rescues down south as well so search locally at a rescue. I know Mickaboo sends the rescued birds to foster parents who do it for Mickaboo and they really do socialize these birds in hopes they will make good pets and never be put into rescue again.

Some lovebirds just will not get along with each other so it is hard to say if you will find another bird who will get along with your two lovies. I would think in a aviary it might be better because the birds would not be in a confined cage and have a big aviary to call home with lots more space. Lovebids are my favorite birds of all and they really are so cute you cant look at them without smiling at them. BUT... if they are like Boomer they can also be brat birds and just not ever want to have another bird around them so be careful trying to socialize a new bird with your two.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads