Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: paramyxovirus in Canaries

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

paramyxovirus in Canaries

Good day, I have been breeding canaries for quite some years now but this is the first time that i have come across this virus. one of the 4 chicks of 30 days old has started showing the paramyxovirus. I worry for the little guy as i cannot seperate him from his parents. I would like to know if there is a cure for the virus or what is the alternative.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: paramyxovirus in Canaries

I won't question your diagnosis or experience, but my face is contorted and my brain amiss. This diagnosis is extremely odd. A 30 day old chick is certainly old enough to be able to see if it is acting strange, but Paramyxovirus? In birds we would see it as more Newcastle or better yet, avian pneumoencephalitis, one of the many subs of Paramyxovirus. If so young rarely survive and honestly I wouldn't want them too. I always answer as if it were my decision or what I'd do if it was mine. That answer is easy, quarantine the entire bunch, Mom, Dad, and all babies and all young from this pair. Take that baby to the vet, have them run blood tests to insure the diagnosis. If it is a simple viral episode such as conjunctivitis well treat for it. If it is what you are saying, there are more serious viral meds, all injectable' s, and even then I wouldn't keep these birds in my flock. The larger question then would be how did this get into your aviary. If after you find out from the vet it is so, which I very much doubt or rather hope, you have a lot of complete disinfecting of your entire area. Any of the infections in this group are something even a vet clinic would isolate and quarantine, since even Distemper is part of the group. Lastly if so, this group of viruses can jump to humans and other animals, depending on what exactly the sub virus is.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I totally agree with Rudi. The flock needs to be quarantined and the baby needs to be seen by a vet.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5borders View Post
    I won't question your diagnosis or experience, but my face is contorted and my brain amiss. This diagnosis is extremely odd. A 30 day old chick is certainly old enough to be able to see if it is acting strange, but Paramyxovirus? In birds we would see it as more Newcastle or better yet, avian pneumoencephalitis, one of the many subs of Paramyxovirus. If so young rarely survive and honestly I wouldn't want them too. I always answer as if it were my decision or what I'd do if it was mine. That answer is easy, quarantine the entire bunch, Mom, Dad, and all babies and all young from this pair. Take that baby to the vet, have them run blood tests to insure the diagnosis. If it is a simple viral episode such as conjunctivitis well treat for it. If it is what you are saying, there are more serious viral meds, all injectable' s, and even then I wouldn't keep these birds in my flock. The larger question then would be how did this get into your aviary. If after you find out from the vet it is so, which I very much doubt or rather hope, you have a lot of complete disinfecting of your entire area. Any of the infections in this group are something even a vet clinic would isolate and quarantine, since even Distemper is part of the group. Lastly if so, this group of viruses can jump to humans and other animals, depending on what exactly the sub virus is.
    Thanks Rudi. Unfortunately, we do not have Vet service where i live. I have been monitoring the behavior of the little bird for a week now. I have seperated it from its family. the good thing is that it can feed itself and seems ok for now.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

As I said before, what you named before would be highly unusual. My bet would be on a viral type. A very common event, which is so obvious it is overlooked often, is the air and exchange of fluids between parents and young. What I mean by that is babies gulp, thus they introduce air and fluids from the parents during feeding. These do not always just go down the hatch but also into the lungs. This then can cause a mild respiratory infection or even lead to pneumonia. People start looking for other things when it is a simple aspect of fluid in the lungs that just needs help with their developing immune system to get by it.

Remove Ads