Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: help with fledgling grackle

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

help with fledgling grackle

hey everyone, so 4 days ago I found a fledgling common grackle that is almost fully feathered that was stuck in a net. I took him out and waited a few hours till it got dark for any parents to get back but nothing. So I took him and had him ever since. ive raised mocking birds and morning doves but I've never done grackles. He seems pretty healthy still and wants to eat for me but I just want to make sure, there are a few things im a bit worried about. I've noticed sometimes he can get constipated and sometimes when he does poop it has a slight bad smell. I'm not sure if it's the food I'm feeding him he has been eating mealworms, wax worms, earthworms, and some moistened purina kitten kibble. should I be feeding him different food or give him something else to eat? Also lately these last few times I've feed him he has been sticking is tounge out and kind of licking his beak and sometimes he holds his tounge out side of his mouth with out moving it for a few seconds. I looked it up but can't find anything about it.I feed him with tweezers so I'm kind of worried I may have hurt his tounge while I was feeding him. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: help with fledgling grackle

I would try to find a wild bird rehab rescue and ask them these questions because I honestly cannot help you. It does sound like it is possible he hurt himself on the tweezers but there is no way of telling. If there is a bird rescue in your area I would call them and ask them or maybe you can go online and find a bird rescue and ask them questions. Our local vets office use to help wild birds and we are lucky to have two bird rescues close to us to take wild birds to when we find them hurt or like yours babies too young to be left alone.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads