Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Tetola and Pistacchio are snipping at eachother out of jealousy over us :(

Name
    Hama
    Thanks

Tetola and Pistacchio are snipping at eachother out of jealousy over us :(

Hi all!
    So, Riccardo and I have had Tetola for more than two years. She never truly became tame, though she enjoys having us around. She's always been skittish, mainly due to the fact that she had a rough start. Ricky and I saved her after a car hit her. She's fine physically, but that one day was extremely traumatic and I think it's shaped her character.
    We observed her behaviour over these last two years, and it became obvious that she could benefit from feathered company.
    In comes Pistacchio: a gey-green, hand-reared budgie. I quarantined him, and when doc said all was good, I introduced them.
    At first I tried putting them in their cages, but they got really agitated as neither is used to being in the cage during the day. I let Tetola out to explore Pistacchio's cage, and she seemed really keen, so I brought him out. That didn't go too well...

Although things have calmed down significantly, they both get really jealous whenever one of us is in the room, especially Tetola. She's even coming to perch on us, something she wouldn't have done before, just to scare him away. There's been only one fight I've had to break up, but that was days ago.

Thing is, it would make me incredibly sad if these two never got along. I don't expect them to become best buddies, but at least I'd like the snippy behaviour to stop.
    Neither one is especially aggressive, but this situation is making us actually feel bad for spending time with them because they get so agitated.
    What should I do? Separate them and try again in a few weeks? Wait it out?
    It's kind of heartbreaking to see them so stressed out, fighting over attention that would come their way regardless.

Thanks for the help!

https://ibb.co/VjBYsND Tetola

https://ibb.co/1K1pVVy Pistacchio
    Last edited by Whiskurious; 05-24-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Tetola and Pistacchio are snipping at eachother out of jealousy over us :(

Your two bids are very lovely and the colors on Tetola are stunning!! I never owned two birds before so I really cannot advise on if this is really natural for them to attack each other or not. I am thinking just because I read about it here that many birds do this when they first meet. I sure know I would be very nervous about them hurting each other like you are. If I was you I would keep them in the cages in the same room and slowly move the cages closer to each other in hopes they will get to know each other and feel less agitated just being around each other. It could be that Tetola is being very possessive of his humans and is protecting what he thinks is his flock (you and Riccardo). It is going to take lots of time for her to get use to having another bird around. It does sound like it wasn't a horrible event when they were out together and with supervision it could work out in time. But all of this is a guess just by what I have read on this site because like I said I never had two birds and just do not know what to do in real life when things dont go perfectly. I once bird sat 5 budgies and oh my goodness did they all get so mad at each other at times and looked like they would fight it out at times. It scared me that they would hurt each other but the owner told me they have fought like this forever.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Hama
    Thanks

Yeah, my sister calls Tetola "Evy" for "evidenziatore", highlighter in Italian.

I'm inclined to agree with you, that this may very well just be a phase, because things have already calmed down quite a bit since the first day.

I would keep them in their cages, but being in there during the day just makes them freak out regardless. They've both got used to fly about in the cat-free areas of the house. Pistacchio HATES being in his cage, and Tetola, though less dramatic, wants out too.
    What I'm currently doing is leaving them free in Tetola's room during the day, and putting each one in their cage separately, but in the same room. If we're not there then they're quite serene. They ignore each other (I've peeked) but don't squabble.

Today I managed to entertain one on each shoulder for short periods of time, or till Pistacchio would go bother Tetola and she'd snap at him. XD

I really hope things improve.
    Thanks for your time, Boomer Girl, you're always very helpful and considerate.<3

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 1,253 Posts

I think you are approaching the situation correctly. It is early on as yet. Usually an only fid will be dominant for awhile, when they get a new friend. But it sounds like your new one is the little instigator! Lolol

Take one day at a time. I can bet in another week or so you will see more progress. We will watch for updates!

They are beautiful!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskurious View Post
    Today I managed to entertain one on each shoulder for short periods of time, or till Pistacchio would go bother Tetola and she'd snap at him. XD
    Yeah!! This very good to hear and it really does sound like soon they will be friends.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Hama
    Thanks

Hi, sorry for not writing sooner. Health issues and prior engagements kept me from my keyboard.

@maxollie: I really hope I am!
    Pistacchio is an adorable nuisance. You can't get anything done with him around. He needs to be where the action is, and has no sense of self preservation. He throws himself at you, or whatever else has caught his interest, and puts his faith in divine intervention (or rather, mum's catlike reflexes).

So far we've had a few nibbles from the same millet spray while I was in the room, and I keep offering baths because grumpy Tetola likes them. I'm hoping she'll start associating him with fun times and stop pushing him off branches and perches. 🙄

@boomergirl: I really hope they'll at least accept each other and we can all be one big, mismatched flock. 😁

Thanks for your help, dears. ❤

Remove Ads