Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help! - How to get rid of Red Mites in Canary cage.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Help! - How to get rid of Red Mites in Canary cage.

I just noticed red mites today on the sheet I cover my canary birds with. How can I get rid of them? What should I do? I kept the sheet outside my house on the lawn as I didnít want it getting anywhere else in the house. I donít see any during the day, just noticed it on the sheet when I took it off this morning.

I gave the canaries Scats, 2 months ago. I also clean the cage every week taking out all the perches and containers. Not sure how we got red mites.

Can someone please let me know what I should do or get to get rid of these.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Help! - How to get rid of Red Mites in Canary cage.

Go to Laraine's lady Gouldian and buy some AIL (Avian Insect Liquidator). It a product you can buy as a mix or mix it yourself. Mix it up and spray the whole cage and if any get on the birds no worries. It won't hurt them, just don't get it in the food or their water. Spray the cage and area every 2 days for a week, then re[peat in two weeks. Also buy Dr. Marshals S76 which you mix and give in their baths and drink. Leave it as their sole source of drinking water for 3 days, and again repeat in two weeks.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for your advise. I purchased the AIL from a local pet store here. It is the same one that Laraine sells. I hosed down the entire cage, toys perches etc and then sprayed the entire cage and birds. The next day I only saw a couple on the bottom of the cage as I lined it with white paper towel and a couple on the sheet I cover the cage with. I resprayed everything again and the birds too and washed all the perches and toys in bleach and dawn soap in hot water. Today I did not see any. I also gave them Scatts on Saturday. I have S76, NV powder and give them that every month and Scatts every 6 months.

Now that I've given them Scatts, do I still need to give them S76? When should I give them Scatts and S76 and NV powder next?

I let them take a bath today will the AIL wearoff?

Thanks for your help Rudi

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Good work. The AIL will kill on contact and leave a great residual to cover any live ones running around. The repeated coverage is for any hatching out after the adults are dead. This is why one can thing they are clear and then the new batch enter the picture a couple weeks later.

The Scatt and S76 are for all practical purposes designed for the same purpose. Scatt is primarily for mite/lice where as S76 is also but has the bonus of being a 90% wormer. Defined as it will kill 90% of all worms the bird may have in its system. (It cannot kill all kinds but does very well for most all). I use S76 only myself because it is safe and if measured correctly is very easy to use. Scatt or any kind of product like it is subjective to the person applying it. Not everyone's drop is the same size, and a weak bird can be adversely affected. That is a very personal statement on my part, meaning what I think and do, many people use it and swear by it. To each their own as it goes. If it is working don't change but do not give both, maybe alternate.

NV powder is always good after a treatment, just adds that little bit of pep to their system.

AIL does wear off, but your primary function wit it is the environment not bird. It won't hurt the bird but your goal is getting the cage and whole area free of mites and thus the bird is then safe. The motes don't live on the bird, they live in the surrounding area. They travel to the bird to feed then back off again.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks Rudi. I have been spraying the cage after every 2 days with AIL and the red mites seem to have gone as I don't see any. I let the birds have a bath today and washed the cage and all the toys and containers with warm water and soap and resprayed everything and the birds again too. I even sprayed the stand the cage sits on just to be on the safe side . I sometimes hear them making clicking sounds, they don't do it all the time but when they do, they go on for a few minutes. I've already given them Scatts last week. Do you think they have air sac mites? They seem perfectly healthy, flying, chirping, singing and eating well. So just wondering if the clicking sound is something to be concerned about. Thanks for your help

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Mites are a menus but continued spraying and cleaning keeps them at bay.

Clicking is something that is a sign of air sack mites, "BUT" not always is clicking do to mites, meaning it can be other things, at least 10 other things. Now red mites and air sack mites are two different creatures, but again who knows. In this case the use of S76 is better than scatt, and also ok to use. I'd hit them with it, (S76) then again 1 week later for 3 days each. DO NOT mix it strong, mix it either exactly per instructions or a little lighter.

Keep everything clean and doing what you're doing and all will be good.

Now mites come in from new birds we bring in or ourselves most of the time. We can go to a store or a friends aviary or even nursery and carry them in. People always laugh that I practice the Asian thing of removing my shoes and going barefoot in my bird room, but this is the reason why. Everyone who show or exhibits birds knows to always treat for mites after a show. Every show will inevitably have some bird being exhibited with them and thus who knows, thus we treat. Lastly they can come in via windows or cracks or even animals who go in and out like our cats or dogs. If you have birds, you will have mites sometime or another, it just is what it is.

Remove Ads