Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Clipping wings

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Clipping wings

So, Ive been thinking and I was wondering whether to clip my budgies wings. To clear things up, there is no danger to them being flighted at all, they even know not to hit glass.

I'm primarily asking for training purposes. I want the budgies to become more... I dunno, friendly I guess... I want to get them used to household things more, which they REALLY aren't used to now, though I suppose that's my fault.

I know that you can train flighted birds as is, but I just can't. Call me impatient or whatever, but its just too frustrating for me, so I thought clipping might make them more trainable.

I came here to ask for other people's opinions. To clear things up, I know how to deal with a clipped bird, my first budgie was flightless for about 2 to 3 months. Secondly, please don't just put "you can train them flighted you just gotta have patience". I know, but I'm a 15 year old boy with a 3 second attention span so, please don't patronise me.

Anyway, any advice or pros and cons are otherwise welcome and thank you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Clipping wings

If you do decide to clip, in my view, you would need a trained wing clip technician from an avian vet office, who has experience in clipping slightly the flight feathers. Because if the wing flights are not clipped properly, or are chopped straight across, the birds will have no balance, and fall on their beaks. And, further, the wing flights may not ever grow back, and the birds will never be able to fly at all. Every bird is created to fly, by nature. In my view, the birds heart and soul are its beautiful wings!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think a light clip is the best and not clipping the wings all the way because it leaves them defenceless and like Maxollie just said the do lose their balance if they are clipped too short. We kept Boomers feathers trimmed just enough so he could fly but not gain too much height.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Tango was just trimmed this weekend, like boomer, he can fly but I know he will not be able to fly out the door.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

One day before school Carissa forgot Boomer was on her shoulder and walked outside and Boomer flew straight into a tree. He was lightly trimmed but he caught a breeze and gained enough height to be it least 12 feet up a small pine tree. I couldnt climb it because it was too skinny and Carissa was only maybe 6 years old. She had to climb it with me below to catch her if she fell down. Thankfully it had small branches for her to step on. She was crying like crazy and Boomer was above her happy wing flapping her (he was madly in love with her). She made it up to him and he ran down her arm into her shirt and thankfully stayed there. Once inside we all cried while boomer was cheeping and wing wagging us like crazy. It is a memory me or Carissa will never forget and we shudder to think of what would have happened if we did not trim his wings. Plus it really made a very young Carissa more aware of to be extra careful opening doors when Boomer was out which was almost always.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

It doesn't take much wind to get our fids airborne. The reason why I clip Tango is for his own personal safety and a piece of mind for myself and John. When he is flighted, he gets cocky and acts like a crazy bird. I just don't want anything to happen to him, especially indoors.

It was several years ago when I was at the vet and someone came in as an emergency because they didn't believe in clipping and their beloved bird flew into a boiling pot of water.. It was sad because they ended up putting the bird down.

You were soooooo very lucky that Boomer bonded with Carissa. Pine tree of all things!! It was a hard way to learn a lesson, but in your case everything turned out okay.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimJimmony View Post
    So, Ive been thinking and I was wondering whether to clip my budgies wings. To clear things up, there is no danger to them being flighted at all, they even know not to hit glass.

I'm primarily asking for training purposes. I want the budgies to become more... I dunno, friendly I guess... I want to get them used to household things more, which they REALLY aren't used to now, though I suppose that's my fault.

I know that you can train flighted birds as is, but I just can't. Call me impatient or whatever, but its just too frustrating for me, so I thought clipping might make them more trainable.

I came here to ask for other people's opinions. To clear things up, I know how to deal with a clipped bird, my first budgie was flightless for about 2 to 3 months. Secondly, please don't just put "you can train them flighted you just gotta have patience". I know, but I'm a 15 year old boy with a 3 second attention span so, please don't patronise me.

Anyway, any advice or pros and cons are otherwise welcome and thank you.
    It's your budgie, it should be your choice. Clipping is a hot topic on any discussion forum, even this one. But I always say it's up to the parront. I for one have my birds wings and nails trimmed. The trimmed wings do molt and he gains his flight back in about 6 months or the next molt. The reason why I do it is because I find it safer for him. Also, I do enjoy opening my windows and letting fresh air in my home, especially after the long winger we had in Michigan.

Tiels:

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

A bird with trimmed wings doesn't necessarily mean that it make your bird more trainable, but it will make your fid more dependent on you. It will be up to the owner to make sure that the bird will be able to get in/out of cage. This would also be a good time to work with the "step up" command.

Tiels:

Name
    Rodrigo
    Thanks

Does clipping the wings make the bird easier to tame? I just lost my first budgie, Lionel Messi. I fear that my new budgies, Zico and Maradona, might escape as well. I'm not very keen to clipping wings, I love to see them fly around, but I also don't want to lose another bird so soon.
    Lionel Messi, wherever you are, know you're loved and will be missed. Hope you'll be back.
    Zico
    Evita Perón

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Contact an avian vet in your area, and see if they have a wing clip technician. A good wing clip tech will know to take just a slight amount of the wing flights, and balance the wings, making each the same so your birds can still fly, but not as they would do without the wing clip. P!ease know, that even birds that have wing flights clipped can still fly, if they escape your home, so, in my view, the suggestions I made on your other thread you created will help. Get in the habit of always thinking where they are when they are out of cage. Budgies are super fast. Check on them, and do not let them out of your sight. Close doors inside the home. Limit them to one room to be out and flying free. Take any mirrors off walls, so they do not fly into them. Turn off ceiling fans when they are out of cage too.

Congrats on getting your new budgies! I am happy for you!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-19-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Remove Ads