Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Behaviour of my 15 month old Male Budgie.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Behaviour of my 15 month old Male Budgie.

Hi,
    Please could I ask for some help and advise, I have had my Rocky Balbudgie for around 15 months and during that time I have constantly tried to get him to fly out of his cage and play and try to get him to bond with me. He isn't frightened of me he will quite happily eat of my hand and will step onto my hand on his own terms, but I have to admit when I hear and see the progress that other budgie owners are making with their feathered friends I cant help but feel I am doing something wrong.

I bought him from a Budgie breeder who has a pet shop, I was very impressed with the reviews and thought it was better than going to a bog standard pet shop. The owner was very good and spent about the best part of an hour going through how to look after him, but one of the advise he gave me was to pick him up out of cage which to me didn't seem right and at first I followed his advise but soon stopped, he also had his wings clipped which I have never continued. He has a Vision cage which is quite big and would probably do for 2 Budgies, but nothing but the best for my Rocky, inside I have a swing with a small mirror and a toy (which he loves) a guitar with play beads on and a disco ball.

But, my issues are, Rocky refuses to come out of his cage and I have plenty of toys for him to play with, I have even tried to get him to take a bath. If by some miracle I do manage to get him out he flies straight back in, then gives a triumphant chirp. I do feel after 15 months he should be more bonded with us and despite us being at work during the day (I put the radio on for him) I do feel he should be more friendly towards us. Also I am he only eats certain fresh foods and despite trying him on new foods he is not interested.

I'm sorry this thread is so long, I love my little Rocky to bits and despite my best efforts he just seems to turn the other beak, I have been told that its not normal behaviour Budgies are social little things and love company, which has concerned me more, please help.

Many thanks
    Jane

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Behaviour of my 15 month old Male Budgie.

I have to say that not all birds are social and want to be with you all the time, this is actually rare and honestly having a "velcro" bird is not great either because they get way too dependent on you to keep them company. Boomer was a velcro bird and even though we loved him like crazy he made us want to scream sometimes because if he wasn't outside his cage with us he would sit in his cage and cheep like crazy to get out. One suggestion if you are not already doing it is to always have special treat bowls out for Rocky to munch on outside of his cage. Maybe get in the habit of only giving him the things he really loves outside his cage door but close to his cage so he has to get out to eat it. Leave his cage door open whenever you are around to supervise him so he can get out when he wants to. You may want to try to take his favorite toy out of his cage and put it somewhere just outside of his cage and just maybe he will hop out and play with it. I am sure Ellen (Maxollie) might have some suggestions for you as well. She has owned budgies for a very long time and knows there behaviour better then I do.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

In my view, it appears to me that Rocky is happy in his environment, and prefers to be in his cage. I know it is a disappointment somewhat, that you cannot coax him out. My thought is to get a small bird play gym. Set it up close to his cage, on a table, or, wherever you prefer, but not far from his cage. Put some of his seed mix on the bottom of the gym, and some treats. You could also find a way to attach another mirror, and a swing. If you put it close to his cage, and when you are home, leave his cage door open, he just might decide to come out and go to the play gym. That would be a great way to get him used to being out, and also, he might bond better with you. Perhaps you can put the gym next to a recliner, or a chair you could use to be close to the gym.

Another suggestion is to get some millet sprigs at the pet shop, and use them for out of cage treats only. Place one on top of his cage, outside, open the door, and then also place one, or small pieces of one on the gym. He will soon learn that ...hey...if I get out of my cage today...I can play on my gym and eat millet, or, also, eat it one top of my cage. You also can use fresh leaf lettuce. Budgies love it too! Use your imagination around using the gym and the cage top. Hopefully, this will help him to be more social. I agree with Deanna, that not all birds are social. Each has their own personality, created by nature. In my view, Rocky has a loving and ideal personality. One that in time, will create a great bond with you!

I have homed budgies for many years. And everyone I have ever had was special, and had its own personality. One thing is for sure, they love their mirror girl and boy friends, and their swings! Do not lose heart. Time and patience are always working for you.

We will welcome your updates anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-29-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Hi Deanna
    Thank you so much for responding to my thread. Rocky is definitely independent in fact so much he thinks he doesn't need me. Someone has advised me to take out everything that's shiny as he is responding to the other bird that he sees in the mirror. I did take out some of his toys and boy did he sulk, he just sat there on his perch looking miserable. I have tried the treat trick but he would rather do without rather than come on my hand. I have left his cage door open all day, whilst being supervised with toys outside and he is not interested, my only conclusion is that something has happened at the shop where I bought him from that has made him like that. I will not be giving up on him and will keep trying, the one thing I wont be doing is following the advise of the shop owner and grab him to get him out, that to me seems wrong. Maybe what I could do is change his cage to something smaller.
    Many thanks
    Janex

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie,
    Thank you so much for getting back to me. I would definitely agree that Rocky loves his cage, I have a play gym, tried it went down like a lead weight, he wasn't interested. I have tried various toys and food to get him out and not a chance. The closest I can get to him to pop his beak out the door is by hanging one of his favourite toys to the open entrance to the door and he will quite happily come down and play with them, what I may do is set the play gym up and hang the toys outside the cage, fingers crossed. I did try something new last night I got a medium size mirror in which he went bonkers for, after about 10 mins he was quite happily hopping up my arm (at the entrance to the cage) nibbling at my arm and bobbing his head it was adorable. I will try the millet outside the cage and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to change the cage to something slightly smaller. At present he is in a Vision cage, size 1 medium, and it is on the large size for one Budgie. My friend is going on holiday next week and I will have double trouble as her budgie Bertie Bubble will be coming here for his holidays, Rocky will be going bonkers, I know my little Rockstar would love a friend but i'm not allowed :-(
    thanks guys
    Jane

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hi Jane,
    Deanna and Ellen gave you some solid advice. I love his name.. First thing I though of was "Yo.. Adrian" LOL!! Seems to me you are making progress with the medium sized mirror. You can try a different cage, I just switched cages for my cockatiel and he adjusted just fine.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Since Rocky is rather what I would call shy, I do think a smaller cage may help. I usually buy a cage about 18 inches by 18 inches for my budgies. Even 2-3 birds would work well. Also, sometimes covering the cage with a light weigt cover, such as some bed sheet material, three sides, with front open, also helps them to feel more secure in their cage. I cover my budgie like this every day, and at night, also cover front side.

Oh, I think Bertie Bubble (wow!! Now that is a name!!! Lo!o!) and Rocky will have a super time together..cages set side by side!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Hi
    Thank you so much for your comments, I may look round for a smaller cage the Vision doesn't have a pull out tray which is a bit of a pain when its Rocky's clean out day. I have suggested getting a new cage to my other half he says its a bad idea and cruel as he thinks Rocky wouldn't like it and probably wouldn't adapt. Personally I think a smaller cage might encourage him to come out. Bertie Bubble is a little diamond my friend adopted him from a neighbour who, let me say, didn't give him the best start in life and between us brought him out of his shell, now he is a happy chirpy little boy that's gives plenty of beak. I am also trying to teach Rocky to talk and Adriiaaan is on my list.
    many thanks
    Jane

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh, I love that Adriiaaan too!!!

Remove Ads