Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rescue Lutino with missing patch?

Thanks

Rescue Lutino with missing patch?

I got this bird the other day from a friend that rescued it. We believe Someone had dumped her and she was just sitting in a driveway for who knows how long until my friend rescued her. Anyways my question is she has a spot on her neck under her beak that looks bear. Iím not sure what it is she is otherwise healthy and eating. Could she be able to pluck that area? Is it molting cause I do see a few pin feathers around there. it just weird cause looks like a lot of feathers gone from one area. Iím worried itís that feather disease. She is currently under quarantine from my other budgie for 30 days or until I feel safe introducing them. Iím going to try and put a pic of her on here there is a very bad quality picture of her on my avatar
    Last edited by Andagny; 06-02-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 1,221 Posts

Re: Rescue Lutino with missing patch?

I admire you totally for rescuing her. It is difficult to say what caused that feather loss on that spot.I recommend feeding her a good quality seed diet, and get a bottle of bird vitamins and put a few drops in the seed mix, not in the water, about once every 8-10 days,to build back her immunity and her calcium levels.Also provide plenty of cuttlebone, and fresh green veggies.

Birds who escape out into the wild can be rehabilitated, it takes time. I also recommend spritizing her with some tepid warm water, every few days. That will help to clean the feathers because she will preen them.

With a new diet, it is possible she will replace a lot of new feathers, so do not be alarmed of feather loss. She will be more beautiful! Lutinos are stunning birds!

As to that spot, watch it carefully for any sign of bleeding. You may have to take her to an avian vet for a wellness check.

She is beautiful. I think she is a budgie, but also might be a lovebird.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-04-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks

Re: Rescue Lutino with missing patch?

thank you for the advice!! she is defiantly but other than having a budgie or two i personally haven't rescued one before and none have really gotten sick. im doing what your recommended to see if that helps her improve. she has lost more feathers around that spot and i am going to keep a very close eye on her.

Remove Ads