where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hi and Help Please

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Hi and Help Please

Hi I am Liz. I live in the West of France. I am English and a bird lover. I found a nestling in my garden yesterday. I contacted my local vet but they weren't interested but gave a number of a lovely lady who advised I keep it in over night and place it back in the nest this morning. After feeding it I did but no parents showed up and the bird was very cold so I brought it back inside. It doesn't open it's mouth for food and so I have had to force feed it. It opens and closes it's mouth now but all the time so I checked online and it looks like it has something stuck. I emptied it's mouth of food but dare not go too far down it's throat. Any idea what I can give it to eat that it can manage? Online suggested wet, soaked dog food which worked initially but I think I need something easier to digest. I am going to the et shop this afternoon to buy meal worms but any suggestions would be welcome.
    Thank you for reading this post

Name
    sam
    Thanks

Re: Hi and Help Please

Suggestion,if still growing feathers and such,get Kaytee's handfeeding formula,use a syringe.

Name
    sam
    Thanks

And the open close could also be of it being cold,wanting food ( but usually comes with chirping ) or just doing stuff.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,218 Posts

I would look for a rescue bird aviary organization in your community. Or, an animal bird rescue or hospital. Baby birds like this one often do not survive, even on handfeeding, because they really need their parents and the outside environment that all birds experience.

It is so kind of you to rescue this baby. I hope you can find someone to take it.

Remove Ads