Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My new Hobbit Home!

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

My new Hobbit Home!

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a long time because of moving and starting my new job. I thought I'd give you some great news about the birds regarding the move.

First, little Wolfie Barry James, the disabled cockatiel. He's still being hand-fed baby formula even though he's nearly 2 years old. But he's pretty healthy. He had gone from 49 grams to 75 when I last brought him home in February. But, he has not been very vocal. At this new apartment, he's actually singing the Andy Griffith Theme! And, he's picked up several new words. He's thriving at this new place! I couldn't be happier for him.

Next, little Smokey Bear (e.g.: Smokey Beary James) lost his pearls, as we figured he would. His grey color looks a little darker, so he and Wolfie are sometimes a little hard to tell apart.

Finally, baby Benny Francis is talking up a storm, and he's learning to sing. He sings Cu Cu RRu Paloma with an operatic trill. He also finally sings the words to Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. But, one day when I was singing it to him, when I got to the second line it went: How I wonder what you.... then Benny Francis said 'I know it'. I tried it again and the next time I said the second line, he finished it with 'I know'.
    He has a really big vocabulary already. Just about anything he hears he says. He also loves his new home.

I went from sheer devastation when I was told I no longer would have my 14 year job and my home, plus my source of income - to pure elation when I got this new job and FREE apartment! I didn't know how the birds would handle being moved, but I'm beyond thrilled to report that they love their new home!

I miss you guys, but I now am in an office full time. At 72 years old, it's been quite an adjustment. But it's working out well.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Re: My new Hobbit Home!

Hi Pat!!! Big hugs and tons of scritches to you and the bird clan! I am soooo happy for you!!! For sure, you were called to be a birdy mom to all of them! Wow!!! It is totally amazing how all of them are!!! You are special, very talented, and truly deserve the new home and job, especially after those meanies treated you as they did!!!

We will welcome you and your updates anytime! We miss your posts, but now know you are settled, and super happy!! Age is just a number!!!! Go for the best life right now!!! And enjoy each day in your new digs!!!! (((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))!! Ellen

PS. How are your family members who were in the Paradise fire???? Oh dear Lord! It is forest fire watch again!!!! I pray it will not be like last summer!!!! Xoxo. Ellen

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Hi Pat. I am happy things settled for you and you and the birds are doing so good. Your birds always have the best life with you. I am also really happy you found a new home and job which must of been terrifying for you. Hopefully we see your cute birds and you here more since your settled into you new life after your move. Hugs!!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen and Deanna. Like I said, my boys are doing great!
    Thought I'd mention that my friend taught Benny Francis to say 'I love you, Pat'. And on his own he says 'I love you Pat' and 'I love you Liola' (my friend's name) and he also says 'I love you Pat Francis'. He also frequently says 'Oh my gaw'. He's learning more words fast!

My Paradise family is doing great! My granddaughter says they are now in a new house north of Chico. She and her husband have new jobs. They came to visit here in the desert after the holidays. It was fantastic! I invited my dear 'adopted' granddaughter Sara (my friend's daughter) to stay with us while Nicole and her family were here because Sara is the same age as my great granddaughter Eloise. They had a lot of fun together. I sent them all off to the Living Desert Preserve and Zoo, which is nearby. They loved it. So, all is well with them.

I pray that all is well with everyone here. Stay safe and sending you lots of hugs!
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I am so happy your granddaughter found a new home! That was a positively terrible. fire!! Your birds, I swear are humans....with feathers!!!!!!. Soooo intelligent!!!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen! Oh, today Benny Francis said this: 'Uncle Jeff! Where's Liola? Where's Uncle Art?' His intonations are so human-like it's amazing.
    And, Thursday he got his very first yellow feather on his nape! Jeff had just groomed Benny Francis and then pointed out to another customer that the nape area would grow yellow feathers once Benny Francis was older. Then, 2 hours later he gets his first one! He's 15 months old today!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!!!! He will be even more handsome with the yellow feathers!!! And WOW! I think Benny Francis needs to go on TV!!!!! He really is unique! I have read about many birds talking, over the years, but nothing compared to him, other than Disco, the budgie!!!

Remove Ads